Translate

Monday, November 3, 2008

book sculptures


If you enjoy altered books, then you might be interested in a different kind of artistic "altering" -- the actual folding of the book into geometric shapes or the arrangement of books into realistic or abstract shapes or designs. The clever window artists at Anthropologie's flagship store, Rockefeller Center here in New York City are currently featuring a display of such art. While it is under the radar of the usual gallery write-ups and reviews, I think it's an absolute must-see for every artist who likes to think not just between the lines but perhaps even beyond them. Not sure how long the windows will stay up, but if you go to Rock for Christmas, peek over to see if the books are still there.



    




10 comments:

Just Tera said...

wow that is awesome ive never seen that before. I love altered books what a fun take on it.

stacywhite said...

We used to fold my grandmother's readers digest like that when we were kids. Who knew. She was way ahead of her time!

Christy said...

I love these images. I think book altering has so many positives and it's fun to see this being accepted and embraced in this way!

June said...

Thanks so much for posting these pictures. What a creative idea.

Melissa said...

What great pictures . . . and art. Reminds me to do more window gazing in the city. I might save some $$$ that way!

Joy said...

That really is very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Hannah said...

I love that! Anthropologie is one of my favorite stores.

GardeningJo said...

Fantastic pics!

dragyonfly said...

LOL>..I was thinking exactly what StacyWhite said, I remember people made garbage cans with folded magazines....all things old are new again...
I am very interested in Book Art, thanks for that retro moment.

PlumCat Art said...

Love, love these pieces!