Translate

Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Bagua House-Serendipity and Synchronicity



I belong to a yahoo group moderated by Kathryn Antyr called True North Arts where I have been challenged to create something related to the topic of serendipity or synchronicity. I have to say that since this topic was brought up in the group and I've been focusing on it, lots of "coincidences" have been happening for me. For example, I had just written in my journal that I felt I was doing well exploring many different art forms but just not that comfortable with this thing called "doodling" (for the uninitiated, it's a little more formalized than just the random doodles you do when talking on the phone). The very next day, someone in another one of my groups posted a link to a free introductory tutorial explaining how to "do" doodling. Funny coincidence, right? (I don't believe in coincidences, by the way. I believe things happen to show us we are on the right path for our lives.)

And just a few days earlier, I had journaled about a book I was reading, choosing a quote that showed that women need to realize they are valuable. The quote said: "You have to find a mother inside yourself. We all do. Even if we already have a mother, we still have to find this part of ourselves inside." And I added my own thoughts after this, "So many (women) need to truly hear these words with our hearts, because we put everyone's needs before our own. We have to learn to be our own mothers and to say to ourselves, "You are entitled, my child, to live a life of beauty. And we need to say to ourselves,'Here, I will help you find happiness and fulfillment.' "

The very next day, my friend Emily --- with no conversation between us about anything related -- posted the following quote: It's from Eat, Pray, Love, and it particularly struck her when she read it. "BUT I FELT A GLIMMER OF HAPPINESS WHEN I STARTED STUDYING ITALIAN, AND WHEN YOU SENSE A FAINT POTENTIALITY FOR HAPPINESS AFTER SUCH DARK TIMES YOU MUST GRAB ONTO THE ANKLES OF THAT HAPPINESS AND NOT LET GO UNTIL IT DRAGS YOU FACE-FIRST OUT OF THE DIRT-THIS IS NOT SELFISHNESS, BUT OBLIGATION. YOU WERE GIVEN LIFE; IT IS YOUR DUTY (AND ALSO YOUR ENTITLEMENT AS A HUMAN BEING) TO FIND SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL WITHIN LIFE, NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT."


So...Why am I writing this stuff. I think these things, serendipity and synchronicity, are so important that I really believe that whoever reads this will see it occur in their own lives as well. Will you post back to me and tell me when it does? I feel it as a blessing that comes to us when we are living our lives fully and on purpose.


And speaking of that, the last part of my True North Arts activity was to create some sort of serendipity compass. At first I was drawn to create some kind of feng shui cards, but then I decided to make my own personal Bagua Compass to use as a quick meditation every day -- a sort of run-through to make sure I'm on track and staying centered. There are lots of explanations for feng shui and for bagua compasses; for me, I see "my house" as being something within myself rather than as my actual domicile -- though plenty of people see these things as representing their actual homes. If you're interested, you can google this stuff and turn yourself into a New Age guru. But don't blame me. I'm just a regular chick who likes to stay in touch and keep it real. xoxo

10 comments:

Lit and Life said...

Very interesting stuff! I really like your idea that there are no coincidences which makes everything seem to just have happened randomly.

Lizzi said...

Yes Yes Yes! Things are starting to happen to me right now...things that are showing me on my right path. Today I randomly took out The Psychic Pathway by Sonia Choquette from my bookshelf (a book I have yet to read in full)and just opened it up, and the page I landed on said exactly what I needed to hear in just the way I needed to hear it. And now your post, and I had read the quote on Emily's blog and that had me thinking all night. Now that I know I'm on the right path I feel incredibly renewed.

Holli said...

This has ALWAYS happened to me and I've always been conscious of it throughout my life. I've often felt through the years that my "old soul" tries to tell me things and its when i don't listen or do the opposite that trouble has occurred in my life. When I'm paying attention to the serendipitous things, I do so much better!

Jo said...

I love your new background, a pleasant surprise when the page loaded. These things are happening in my life, to me right now, only I don't truly have the words for them at this moment. That 1st quote is just amazing. And it gets to me every time.

KathrynAntyr said...

The inspiration spiral keeps flowing! You found inspiration from my post and now here I am so inspired by yours! Your Bagua House is not only brilliant but timely! That's right, here I am preparing to take the long weekend to thoroughly declutter the tree house while my son is away. I recently picked up a book called, "Altar Your Space." It is a gorgeous book about create a sanctuary in your home where every nook and cranny supports a sense of peace and serenity. I hope lots of people read your post and comment back with their stories. Do share them with me too! I love hearing how serendipity and synchronicity shows up. You my dear are definitely right where you are suppose to be!

Thank you so much for sharing this creative journey. I am lucky to know you.

Oh, good luck with the doodling. You'll have to point me in the direction of the free tutorial.

{soul hugs}
Kathryn, Collage Diva

KathrynAntyr said...

I was so happy when I pulled YOUR name out of my magical tea pot. E-mail to me your mailing address and I'll get it right off to you.

It looks like you have your house in order for lady luck to arrive. I better get started on my bagua house. {wink wink}

{soul hugs}
Kathryn, Collage Diva

Lady North said...

Congratulations Teri! Your Bagua House is magnifique and may thousands of LadyBugs come and find a nest there..Indeed..coincidence is spelled 'significance' in my life.
Blessings!
LN

Connie Paxman said...

congratulations on your win....and love your piece you did...so inspiring.
connie paxman

Shannon said...

WOW...Coincidence, I think NOT! I woke this morning with hives covering my face. From the stress of course of husband deployed, empty nest, both daughters away in college, and then BAM...laid off. Body said this is overload so let me just vent by giving you some hives. I put on ice packs and soaked in a tepid bath to try to bring down the blood pressure spike from the woman in the mirror looking at me today. Then, I decided to head to the local community college and sign up for a class that I have always wanted to take...EMT. I start in 2 weeks and I am thrilled. Maybe this curve in the road is the kick I need to follow my dreams. But I have always thought it was selfish to do for yourself. After all, we always do for others don't we? I get into my personal e-mail account today after getting back from the school registration and see that I have an update from Gist, and the one that catches my eye is Kathryn's. I click to her website and find YOU! And you wrote that " each of us needs to find the mother in ourselves." I realized I was laughing and crying after reading all that you wrote because I knew in my heart that you are very right. We do need to take care of ourselves and know that we have the right to do that. So, I say thank you for writing what I needed to read today and for taking the time to care about others that we may benefit from your wisdom. Today my 41 yr old face is the canvas for the hives that are the result of my stress that I allowed to rule me for 5days. And tomorrow, I am going to buy the book for my new class and OMGoodness, I am going to be a college student again. Can I handle it at 41...yes I can! Because I have to take care of me and having a 5 day pity party that by the way no one RSVP'd to, is long enough. The economy is rough but life is not going to stop because of it. I needed to read that it's ok to take care of me. I don't think there are words to describe my appreciation for what I read on your post..so simply, Thank you, and I'm going to take Katryn's class as well to help clarify my dreams through artful journaling!!
:) Shannon

Barbs@SynchronicityHouse said...

Synchronicity - meaningful coincidences, not random moments! I sometimes forget to follow those signs and intuitions that come to me - so thanks for the reminder. Your Bagua House is awesome - what an amazing talent you have. I love your idea of using the Bagua House on yourself - I never thought of applying it in that way - so thank you again!