Translate

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Five Degrees of Inspiration


What Inspires Me?

1. Reading. Without a doubt, reading is the single thing that informs my creativity and fires my ideas. Whether it is an art technique I read about and want to try or a concept I'm pondering and want to discuss with others, reading is the single most effective way I learn about my world. I would be lost without my ability to read.

2. Music. Music moves me in a way that almost nothing else can. If I'm lonely it cheers me up. If I'm tired it gets me moving. If I'm nervous it calms me down. When I want to write or create, there are specific instruments, especially piano and violin, that I listen to in the background to stimulate my mind. It never fails for me.

3. People. There are some people who just understand me and inspire me. They are tuned in to the same frequency that I transmit on - no fiddling with the knob needed. We can finish each others' sentences. You can almost see the energy flowing between us when we get together.

4. Nature. There is something about being in a forest that brings me back to my beginnings, my childhood, a time when every thought was a realistic possibility. For creativity to exist, that has to be a sacred trust.

5. Independence. I can work in a group or alone and be happily creative either way. In a group I need to be able to retain ownership of my ideas and fit them together with others as part of a master plan. I can't give my identity up to be part of a group or I lose my happy creative vision.

for more visit Inspiration Avenue

6 comments:

Lit and Life said...

I'm in complete agreement with your inspirations. When my kids were little and I was a SAHM, I used to turn on music, give them art supplies and we'd create what we heard. They turned out some great stuff!

Inspiration Avenue said...

Just stopping by to leave a comment from all of us and to say thanks so much for joining in the fun today! It was wonderful hearing about what inspires you most!
♥Sharon & the girls from Inspiration Avenue

paperqueen said...

Wow, this could have been MY post...not only in agreement, but even the order of your list. Books, music, people....what else do we need? Well, some art supplies and chocolate and the list is really complete. Oh wait, this is a list of what inspires, not what one desires, right?
Never mind, LOL!
Love ya,
Eileen

freebird said...

Great list. I agree wholeheartedly especially about being free to do it your way. Creativity dries up when one has to do it the "right" way according to so-and-so.

Mandy said...

I loved your list. I completely agree although my order would be a bit different.

Brandie said...

Great post! Reading is definitely number one on my list too ;)