Translate

Monday, August 17, 2009

The High Line


If you live in New York City, you may have already visited the High Line, or at least know about it. If not, let me take you on a short journey there.

The High Line is a 1.45-mile-long elevated steel structure built in the 1930s to carry freight trains. It currently runs from Gansevoort Street, in the Meatpacking District, through the West Chelsea gallery neighborhood, ending at 34th Street, next to the Jacob Javits Convention Center. The last train ran on it in 1980.

As a monument to the industrial history of New York's West Side, a group of visionaries here saw it as an opportunity to create an innovative new public space, raised above the city streets, with views of the Hudson River and the city skyline. Its conversion has been a global model for the reuse of transportation infrastructure and greening opportunities. Friends of the High Line, founded in 1999, is a community-based organization which began as an advocacy group and is now transitioning to a conservancy.

If you are planning a trip to visit the High Line, keep in mind that there are many wonderful restaurants in the area for lunch or dinner. Or, you can grab a fabulous picnic lunch at the Chelsea Market and bring it up to eat at one of the benches along the High Line. It's a great destination to plan into your day.

My sketch is related to a class I'm moderating on the book The Decorated Page by Gwen Diehn. The application is information gathering.

4 comments:

Lit and Life said...

You're sketch is lovely--it along would make me want to visit the High Line!

Jo said...

Interesting! I did not know about it. The view must be amazing! I wonder if I can get over my fear of heights long enough to try it out?!

A Dancing Mango said...

What a cool journal sketch.. I love it Terri!
I hope to see you again in the Taking Flight..
Hugs, Darlene

Holli said...

How cool is this?? I loved this post. Your drawing is cool and I loved the background... I feel as if I've been there now. Nice.