Translate

Sunday, September 20, 2009

An Accident of Birth


In my art journaling group today we were discussing the phrase "accident of birth" and whether it is part of a bigger plan, fate, or just some random accident.

I've heard people say that we choose our journey before we arrive here on earth. I've seen no evidence of that, and I can't for the life of me imagine why one person would want to choose poverty and hardship while another would choose wealth and ease, particularly since one can learn life's virtues from either of those conditions. (Being morally bankrupt, for example, is not limited to the rich or the poor.) What I've noticed is that humans make decisions throughout their lives that are constantly affecting their own course of events. For better or worse, they are consistently writing their own script. (Assuming they are healthy enough to make decisions for themselves.) I believe we often blame fate for things that are more likely the result of previous choices. My conclusion has been that life absolutely is a roll of the dice; but also, that it doesn't so much matter why we were born into the circumstances we were, but much more important, that the choices we make once we get here are responsible for our fate of the moment. What do you think?

7 comments:

Cindy said...

I was pondering this myself; choices made in my life brought me to this point and if I had made different decisions, things would have turned out so much differently. I think our journey can be changed at any time by making different decisions or even by adopting a better, more productive attitude. Kinda like if you're not happy, do something about it!

Lisa said...

I always feel like everything happens for a reason but that nothing is foreordained. If fate was all that mattered, why bother to ever put any effort into anything?

Holli said...

This may sound crazy but i believe in both. I believe that each soul has a purpose or journey in life and that a soul's life spans more than just the one time we are here. I think it depends on where you are in your journey and what you need to learn still. I think that we all know how wonderful heaven is so when we are choosing the next part of our soul's journey we know that we will be returning to a place that is maginificent and so what we do here on Earth is just a little sliver of bad in a lifetime of good. To go further with what I think would open up a huge can of religion and I don't want to do that here.... just wanted to say I believe in both.

paperqueen said...

And throw into the mix how the choices others make impact our lives and it all seems like a giant crap-shoot!
Yes, the decisions we make today certainly color our tomorrows, but I think more about our attitudes. Sometimes we can't control what happens to us, but I believe we can always control how we feel about it.
A change in attitude is as powerful as a change in circumstance. Just my opinion.
Eileen

Brenda said...

Actually, I have been debating this for years. Probably, since I was 13 years old. Since I am not very religious, I never believed that God is sitting up there controlling all things. The God I believe in doesn't have time for all that.

I do believe that you are in control of your destiny by making the choices that you do, and that you have control over your life and what you do with it. However, you do not have control over what other people do and when that directly affects your choices, it might make the result take a turn in a direction you weren't ready for.

But, I believe you can pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go forward with the plan, the decision, the choice until you achieve what you want to achieve. Sometimes, you learn things along the way that make things turn out differently.

Ultimately, whether you are religious or not, God has given us all free will and free will implies that you have control over your decisions.

But, I am sure it will be a topic I will continue to ponder until I am no longer able to.

Aimeslee said...

I actually believe something like this: God...Mr. Wizard...ET's Dad...whoever is up or out there calling the shots (I call my choice God) is a scientist (creationism and evolution can co-exist peacefully) who availed himself of the Chaos Theory and the Time Wave Theory a long time ago, because Dude, there are only 24 hours in a day (or 64 hours in a time warp day, whatever). So, basically it's being played by ear when it's not being determined by an algorythm.

KathrynAntyr said...

Great post and topic Teri. I would agree -- life is definitely what we make it. Now the challenge for many is to get out of their own way. I call it packing your parachute and taking personal responsibility. Wayne Dyer asks, "Are you ready to out grow your excuses?"