Translate

Saturday, September 5, 2009

More thoughts on The Help (no spoilers)


In I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou wrote, "The fact that the adult American Negro female emerges a formidable character is often met with amazement, distaste and even belligerence. It is seldom accepted as an inevitable outcome of the struggle won by survivors, and deserves respect if not enthusiastic acceptance."

Has our world changed so completely, then, in the 40 years since Maya Angelou published those words in 1969?

Nearly forty years later, The Help has been written by a white southern woman, nurtured in childhood by a loving and beloved black maid, honoring the formidable African American women who raised the white children of the south as if they were their own. We do not view this with amazement, distaste or belligerence. We regard these women with respect and honor.

I've been thinking tonight about the women who came before me, women of all color, and I am especially grateful for their efforts. They may have acted out of an instinct for personal survival, but their bravery has given rise to great benefit for each of us.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Great post! I am grateful for all of the brave and courageous women who came before us. It was only 80 years ago that women were given the right to vote in the United States! So very hard to imagine; my grandmothers experienced the first votes cast by women, how exciting! I only wish that I had been old enough to think about these kind of things before my grandmothers passed away and would have talked to them about it!

ellie said...

Marvelous thoughts, Teri...a choice bit to ponder on this long weekend...thanks! (and I think I'm going to have to invest in the book as well! sounds like a fantastic read)

Lisa said...

Excellent thoughts to ponder, Teri!

Holli said...

This book is fantastic. As I'm reading it right now thanks to you Teri I can say i definitely appreciate what you are saying here in this post. I absolutely love the strength and the tenacity of these women. To endure what they did and to not let it break them.... its amazing.

Thauna said...

I need to read this book!

Brandie said...

Okay - all the signs are telling me I have to pick up this book soon and read it!!

Sydney said...

I don't know why, but Ive been avoiding this book. But reading your comments and the comments on Goodreads. I'm going to have to read it.