Translate

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Artist's Journals and Sketchbooks

I'm working on chapter 1 of Lynne Perella's book, Artist's Journals and Sketchbooks. The first thing I did was to create a journal to put all my future work into, a project I was also doing for my Taking Flight group at On The Wing. (Multitasking is a wonderful thing!) These are the materials and the journal itself.






The next thing I did was "Working with Photocopies," part of Lynne's Chapter 1. Here are six different things you can do with a photocopy:








I'm having lots of fun with this book and learning many different techniques along the way. The nicest thing with this most recent lesson is that I used a picture of my maternal grandmother, my grandma Teresa, and combined her image in some ways that were especially meaningful to me. For example, in picture 3, the handwriting you can see (a little) in the background is that of my maternal grandmother (Flora), written in a letter in 1950. So in a way, I have both my grandmas with me in that one image. In picture 7, the "halo" on grandma Teresa's head is actually one of the new keys from the Tiffany collection. I'm happy to be able to give my Italian immigrant grandma a Tiffany key! Can you see the cement steps in the background of picture 2? My sister - 9 years older than I, has clear memories of playing on those steps - but I wasn't even born by the time they moved from that house. In working on these pictures I felt closer to knowing this grandma (whom I never met) than I'd ever felt before. It was definitely a win for me. :-)

9 comments:

sherry ♥ lee said...

This is a beautiful journal Teri and I love what you did with the photocopies. Combining meaningful images for the pages in your journal is wonderful. I didn't know either of my grandmothers but I feel a very special connection to each of them so I understand exactly how you feel about this work you are doing. Very inspiring!

ellie said...

This is magnificent, Teri. truly. The journal cover alone is absolutely outstanding...but I so enjoyed the photocopy work since you gave descriptions of the items used. Of course, I'm partial to anything someone uses from their ancestors...it adds such meaning. Love the one with buttons. My fav, though, was the "two grandmas in one" page. this was just a delight to look at.

Lisa said...

This is so cool! I'm really starting to get the bug to try some of this myself. Although I probably should just work on getting my kids' scrapbooks brought up to date!

paperqueen said...

Oh, I just love what you did with the photocopies! After taking a class with Lynn in August, I know just how wonderful her techniques/style are. Would love to take another workshop with her. Maybe we can find one to do together?????
Eileen

Brenda said...

Teri, I liked it very much. Very cool with the photocopies.

Elizabeth Golden said...

I really like your journal pages. I like how you are using personal images. I have given you an award on my blog. Have a wonderful day.

Jo said...

Lovely! Quite the creative talent you are. Have you heard of the 30 Days of Thanksgiving challenge? Stop by my humble blog abode to find out more. I think you would like it!

Aimeslee said...

I hope you know that when I finally get to doing my tags, I'm copying you (just so you know). winkwink

xoxo,
Aimeslee

Cynthia said...

Wow! you've been very busy. Beautiful journal cover and journal. Lovely to hold in your hands. The photocopies of your grandmother are very special and playing with the images definitely bring you closer to her and them. You've inspired me to check out L.P.'s book. Also loved the exciting pages you've done for your trip to Italy. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.