Translate

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Father's Day came and went


I thought it would be harder for me than it was, but I managed. I wish life's ending could be as glorious as the living, but it never is. I read lots of praises of dads last Sunday in newspapers and online;  I'm sure you did too. What I thought while reading them was, "That's nice. But none of these dads was my dad."  If I were to tell you about my dad now, you'd think the same thing.  So what I'll tell you is that to my dad I was the most special thing in the world and I felt the same way about him.  Just like lots of other people feel about their dads.  I won't ever feel that kind of unconditionally special to anyone ever again.

So if you still have a parent with you, and if you are lucky enough to have one who thinks the world of you as mine did of me, do what I did. Soak it up. Drink it in. Love every minute that you have it for as long as you can get it. And if you are lucky enough to have kids of your own, pass it on.  That, my friend, is the meaning of life. You can take that to the bank.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

beautiful Teri.
my dad's birthday was yesterday. He has been gone since he was 44. He had a hard childhood, a hard adulthood, but I felt that unconditional love from him.

I loved what you wrote. Thanks for sharing.

Kat said...

I hear you Teri. Ever since my father passed away almost 15 years ago Father's Day has felt flat. I easily forget it. Even though my husband is a father, he's not my father.

Tammy Freiborg said...

Your father must have been a wonderful person. May the memories help with the emptiness and loss.

Bea said...

How wonderful. What a tribute to your Dad. I love that picture of him as a young man. What beautiful eyes.
Father's haven't been a big thing in my life. MIA most of the time.
But, it's so true to soak up the love of those around you and to give it back equally well. :)Bea

Holli said...

I felt that way about my grandpa who I considered my dad. For 19 years he filled that dad role for me 120% and fully gave me all of his love unconditionally. I miss him so much and my life has never been the same since he died.

teri said...

Each of your comments mean so much to me. Where would I be without you, my friends?

Thauna said...

Wonderful post Teri! I will remember this when my dad bugs me with his worry....I will enjoy that I am the most special person to him in the world, instead of letting him irrate me because he loves me so much. AND I will make sure my kids know they are the world to me. And I'm sure I will bug them too.

Lisa said...

I'm just catching up on posts so just read this. I feel that my dad treats me the same way. My husband's dad passed away 21 years ago and it really made us keenly aware of how much we need to appreciate and love our remaining parents.