Translate

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I went into analysis today

...called I Write Like writing analysis.  My friend Ellie from Girl Got Poetry sent me the link, so blame it on her.

So my sample revealed that it was written in the style of Chuck Palahniuk.  I Googled him.  "American transgressional fictional novelist."  I'm guessing he wrote that about himself since, a) it's on Wikipedia, and b) nobody calls someone something like that and gets away with it.  Chuck is best known for the book-to-film missive, Fight Club.

I wasn't all that impressed with the comparison. I want to be Nora Ephron ... and I WANT IT NOW.

I wonder how many samples I'd have to submit to get the right answer?  Ellie said she's thinking of submitting repeatedly until she comes up with an author comparison that feeds her ego.

Hey, I'm just trying for accuracy here.

Let me know who you are if you go into analysis at  I write like

10 comments:

Kat said...

Haha, I think I'll learn from your experience and skip it. I'd rather live in blissful ignorance! :)

Rose said...

Cory Doctorow for me... I guess my inner scientist and games nerdiness shines through....

Bea said...

Hmmm, people say I write like I talk, in real life. So....that would make my sample be like me and that's starting to make my hair hurt so I'll pass. :)Bea

Celia said...

I tried this a while ago. I tried several times because it kept coming up with people I'd never heard of - but then I got Margaret Atwood so I stopped there!

Tammy Freiborg said...

I'd love to know if you do try another writing sample. "I Write Like" Vladimir Nabokov, Stephen King, Chuck Palahniuk, James Joyce, hmmm, I've got blogs to go visit. Wonder what exactly they are analyzing - sentence structure?

paperqueen said...

Teri, this cracked me up! You know me and you know my blog. I submitted two paragraphs from a blogpost I wrote on art journaling without words and the analysis said I wrote like Dan Brown!
Do you think my blog reads like the Da Vinci Code?
ROFLMAO!!!!
Eileen

Lizzi said...

Do I want to know? Well, you know I do so I'll keep you posted.

Holli said...

It told me I write like Stephen King... WTF??

Lizzi said...

Because I know you're dying to know Teri...I write like David Foster Wallace and Gertrude Stein. I too am wondering what they are analyzing.

teri said...

well, I think Stephen King is an excellent writer. I don't like his subject matter but his style is crisp and clear. And Lizzi, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what Gertrude Stein's style IS.