Translate

Monday, October 11, 2010

Keeping it Together

My inspiration board had lots of peach and bronze this week. You know how artists have their blue period or pink period?  I think I'm in my pumpkin pie period right now. 


I'd love to paint from a living model, but for now I still have to settle for using magazine pictures, which I tear out and scatter about me.  I often use a nose from this face and eyes from that one.  I usually like to paint very earthy faces, uncluttered yet sophisticated. I use my fingers, brushes, a palette knife - whatever I can find. 


Sometimes I collage first, scrape paint over that to complete the background and then paint my images on top.  For this one I was thinking of doing encaustic wax over it all, but I'm not sure whether I'll do that final step or leave it just as it is. (This particular painting is made with shiva paint sticks, one of my favorite mediums to work in.)

I love the effect of the paint over the collage squares. There is a mosaic tile look, and always a reminder that we are all made of many pieces arranged together, not cut from one cloth as we may appear to be at first glance.  As I was working, I was thinking: what is the glue that holds my life's "pieces" together?  For each of us it is different ... our families, our motivations, our faith.  Some people are always searching to find the answer to that question, while others are certain of the answer throughout their entire lives.  My glue is my love of family first, and my desire to change my world in some permanent way second.  Do you know what your glue is?







16 comments:

Effy said...

I'm pretty sure my glue is to be authentically myself in as many situations as I can manage. It's harder than it sounds. :)

Your style is inspiring and beautiful. I love that you take trash (magazine advertising) and turn it into treasure.

Janet Ghio said...

I love this mosaic style and the colors you have used are wonderful!

Beverley Baird said...

What a lovely portrait. Love your description of your process. Great idea to use the collage effect.
Thanks for stopping by - and yes we have turkey and all the trimmings (2 days in a row for us!2 families , 2 turkeys!)
Take care.

girlgotpoetry said...

♥♥♥♥♥

Holli said...

My glue is my family and my god this painting is beautiful Teri....

milkcan said...

Love the look of the portrait over the squares! Awesome!

An Evolving Artist @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Teri, love your painting and the glue thinking is going to be on my mind for a while. Thanks for sharing.

Socrates said...

What a fantastic process. Your end result is fabulous. Love that portrait. What great work!

Arlene said...

I love, love, love this piece. The effect of the squares collaged under the painting served to remind me how we are all made up of different pieces and parts we show to the world around us. These are all "glued" together to make up the whole of who we are. Fabulous work! Thanks for sharing it with us, and also sharing your thought process around it.

Lisa said...

I really like these Teri. I love the mosaic look and the feel of the painting. I say keep exploring this style. As for the glue? I lost my glue and can't find it :-(

Kristin Dudish said...

I'm really enjoying your "pumpkin pie period" :)

(I don't know if there are any art schools where you live, but I just recently posted about free figure drawing sessions at a local college - great if you want to paint from life!)

penny patten said...

This is quite awesome! Not sure what my glue is lately. I also love to cut and tear up magazines. (though I haven't in a while) Thank You for sharing, great work!

Rita A. said...

Wow Teri.
This is wonderful. I've seen the Shiva paint sticks but I've never used them. I had no idea they could produce effects like this. Love you thoughts too.

Purrplekatt said...

This is just gorgeous! I've always wanted to try the shiva paint sticks.

Lisa said...

Love these! Those colors would make me so happy to have up on a wall.

Thauna said...

Love this! Absolutely everything about it. :)