Translate

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's a Wrap


I don’t give that many gifts any more.  But it seems to take me longer than ever to wrap them and I don’t know why.

I started earlier than ever this year. Usually I wait until the day before so I can see them all unwrapped and make sure my piles for each person are nice and even. Don’t want to give one of my kids a lot and the other too little. 

I tried various folding methods – you know, after you tape the long side you have to fold the ends.  You can fold in the two sides, fold up the bottom and down the top.  Or fold down the top, in the two sides and then up the bottom.  Or (and this is actually the way I was taught) you can fold in one side at a time, going around to each side in a 1-2-3-4 fashion. It got me thinking about who taught me how to wrap presents in the first place. I can’t remember. Can you?

However you fold, I’m finding that coffee liberally laced with Bailey’s Irish cream is helpful in getting the job done. Also, frequent checks on email, stopping to chat with friends online, getting out for fresh air on a dog walk, and chatting with the concierge downstairs are all useful.

Someone suggested I use bags instead of boxes and wrapping paper next year. That’s a great idea. I think I might miss the Bailey’s, though. 

11 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I love your idea of Bailey's and coffee while gift wrapping!! Would definitely make it more fun!

Monkey Mind said...

My mom taught me to wrap in a utilitarian manner and that was what I did when I was young. When I was 12 I had a great and crafty neighbor who taught me a lot about wrapping a present for aesthetic appeal. Funny that you asked because I was wrapping last night and thinking of that neighbor and all that she taught me about simple elegance. Every time I wrap a present it brings up fond memories.

Kat Sloma said...

Baileys + gift wrapping. Sounds like fun! I was actually taught to wrap by working one Christmas at a gift wrapping station in a major department store. By far the fastest method is: fold down the top, crease the two sides and fold them in, then fold up from the bottom. One key is also to not cut your paper too wide! It should be just slightly over half the thickness of the package on the sides, or wrapping is a nightmare. :)

teri said...

Kat, I had a feeling one of those permutations was better than the others. I love these wrapping tips. I'll add them to the Baileys to help me get through. Thanks.

MM-Isn't it wonderful how repeating a process someone taught you brings them back to you? I love that.

Holli said...

I hate to wrap. I'm awful at it and I don't have the patience for it.... your presents look gorgeous though! :)

lee said...

I wrap preseents like I do everything else in my life overdone and messy,maybe I shouldnt add Baileys or it could get worse!

lee said...

I wrap preseents like I do everything else in my life overdone and messy,maybe I shouldnt add Baileys or it could get worse!

teri said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only gift-scrooge!

Citygirl.em said...

My dad taught me to wrap and he always u sed way too much tape. When I married my husband his mother was aghast at how I tape the paper to the actual gift in that in initial fold over. She used 3 pieces of tape and prided herself in that by doing so, she avoided getting the paper ripped while the gift was being opened which meant she could conserve the paper and use it again next year. Nuts, if you ask me. I like my daddies way.

Aimeslee said...

Hey Layyyyydee (she said in her best Jerry Lewis voice). Hoping you got my card and saw what a cute kid I was, lol. Hoping you guys up there enjoy your winter blitzen you are fixing to get right about now....

I too had a wrapping marathon and at the last possible minute. Why I always put wrapping off I'll never know. I'm a sides first, bottom then top end wrapper and OMG NEVER tape to the package unless absolutely necessary. In my book, paper is meant to be torn and trashed. I never save used wrapping paper. But that is probably because I had a slight addiction to Current.com a while back and never if I lived to be 100 could I use up all the frickin paper I ordered.... winkwink Love you and miss you! xoxo

Thauna said...

The Bailey's sounds like a grand idea! Next year I'm adding that to my traditions. I do the same thing with the wrapping all at once, have to make sure the kids are close to even-steven, because no matter how old they are...they notice. lol My mom taught me how to wrap, nice and orderly. Although my ex-husband wrapped much better than I do. If something is oddly shaped I just do the best I can and use more tape. :)