Translate

Friday, January 28, 2011

Snowed in? Free visit to the MOMA today.

Snowy days in Manhattan are a good reason for going out -- subways are running and lots of other people stay home so there aren't many people around.  So my friend and I went to the MOMA to visit with the Abstract Expressionists. Fun!!



I brought some home for you...
Here are a few of the most well-known.  
How many can you recognize? (answers at bottom)

(that lady isn't me - I included her so you'd have perspective on the size of this beast)





huge canvas



Encaustic, oil and collage on fabric mounted on plywood



This is around 7 feet tall and 7 feet wide





Answers:

I'm sure you know the "splatter paint" artist is Jackson Pollock.

Mark Rothko is the artist associated with those block-type color washes.

Campbells soup cans?  Andy Warhol, of course. (And I know, these aren't all abstract exp.)

The American Flag - Jasper Johns

And the tall dancing people is The Jungle by Wilfredo Lam

The very last beauty is the subway wall.  I took that photo on my way home.



Here is a watercolor I sketched from a simple figure by Paul Klee: The Angler. His was an oil transfer drawing, watercolor and ink.  Mine is watercolor and ink.




12 comments:

Shirley said...

Your photos are wonderful Teri and I love your Paul Klee Angler! I wish we could take a photo of the original, but alas!

Janet Ghio said...

Love the addition of the subway wall!! Saw on the news that you had been hammered with snow once again! You're so lucky to live somewhere that you have so many museum choices!!

Tammy Freiborg said...

Such a different experience to see these large works in person. Wonderful reproduction-drawing of the angler! Watercolor and all!

Holli said...

Wow!! That was fun Teri... thanks for giving me that little MOMA experience with ya :)

Lizzi said...

I would love to go on field trips with you!

Rosie said...

Hrmphh!

Monica said...

Thanks Teri. Somehow the 72 degree day does not make up for a trip to MOMA. Love your Klee

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the fun quiz. Tripped up on Lam's and the sneaky subway wall. Loved it. Reminded me of my Art History quizzes. Loved your Klee. I remember my first trip to MOMA...took my breath away. As for snow, in MA and still shoveling.

A Dancing Mango said...

Hi Teri!
It has been so long, I finally pushed myself to get around to blogs of course with the help of being snowed in.
lol
I am cracking up at you saying.. "that lady isn't me"..
omg.. you are so funny.
You mean.. you are not hunched over ?.. LOL
Thank you for sharing all of this art with us.. and your stories are fun.. hugs..♥

Purrplekatt said...

Wow - those are awesome pics! I even liked the subway wall! :) I would have loved to see those in person.

Brenda said...

I guessed Jackson Pollack. Did you ever see the movie about his life? Very interesting and sad.

Not sure I get his art!

Too much snow is making me unhappy.

journaldarte said...

Thanks for the quiz - I was doing fine until jasper... then I was thinking I know these why can't I remember his name :-) Thanks for the trip to MOMA - what a fun way to spend a snow day. Loved your Klee inspired art!!