Translate

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

So much to say

Thank you thank you thank you to our AMAZING host Elena for a wonderful time in Key Largo.  I don't know how she did it but she managed to give each of us five days that felt like summer camp without the bugs. I went home 5 lbs. heavier from all the incredible food and desserts, but it was totally worth it. I was off the grid the entire time, giggling at night and in the morning with my bunkmates Eileen and Tracy and using more glue than I ever thought possible all day long with my pals.  Hey soul sisters - I'm really gonna miss ya!  For a complete play-by-play of the events, visit Eileen's blog. She's great at recaps.



These are birthday tags for Lillian and Sarah, both of whom celebrated their special day while we were at the art retreat.  I  stained the tags using hot coffee and cinnamon (so they smell yummy), covering them first with metal clips and chains to resist the dye.  After the dye set, and they dried, I stitched the edges and added stamps, worry dolls and buttons.  Worry dolls are easy to make with a bit of wire or a toothpick underneath and wrapped with thread. Guatemalan children traditionally tell their problems to worry dolls so they can free up their minds.  Try it sometime!!

I took a wax collage class at the Ink Pad last weekend with Claudine Hellmuth. You'll notice my friend Eileen (from the retreat, above) was also there and no, we aren't attached at the hip. These two things just happened to be a week apart from each other and -- what can I tell you?  Great minds think alike.


This is one in a series of altered postcards I've been working on.  So many restaurants in NYC give out postcards, and it seems a shame to waste them but I really have no use for them so I decided it would be a fun challenge to alter them.  This particular one is from Vinyl restaurant and is for my friend Melly, inspired by a photo of her in her winter jacket. She was wearing a pink hat in the photo, so that's why she has one on here. (Just sayin') Her cat's name is arrow, and he's very, very cute.




Speaking of Melly, last month one of her friends and an artist I have come to know by email but not having met in person, Carla Sonheim, was visiting New York to demo some lessons at Etsy in Brooklyn.  Our Journal Study Group made plans to do what we seem to have become famous for doing:  welcoming visitors to our little group for a day of art fun.  It turns out that Melly couldn't join us, but Benedicte, Pat, Shirley, Carla and I spent a fun day at the Guggenheim museum after lunch at Table d'Hote.  We love Carla and she is now an honorary member with keys to the, er -- a key to our hearts!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Umm. I think you're having a little too much fun!! It sounds wonderful though! Glad you had a fabulous arty vacation :-D

Tammy Freiborg said...

So fun to see all those smiling faces and your personally created treasures for friends!

Lizzi said...

I have to ask....How do you do it all?

Truly Teri, you inspire me like no other person!

Eileen said...

This post really reminded me just how fortunate we are to have so many like-minded friends.
LOVE your altered postcard. I usually just stick them in envelopes when I'm sending things out (as protection), but that is a much better idea!

ellie said...

What a blast you've had! :D Boy oh boy does this post just reek of joy.....so happy you got to experience this kind of get away, Teri.

Shirley said...

Love the postcard for Melly! I need to pay more attention to those giveaway postcards - the little square background it provided is fabulous.

Holli said...

Boy you've sure been busy! All fun stuff though... I love reading about it :)

PS. I have my worry dolls still that my grandpa brought back for me from some trip somewhere when I was little. Those dolls know lots and lots of secrets. ;)

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Teri!!!! I am sooo happy to hear from you!!!! I just became your follower and this way we can be in touch. Love your blog and your altered postcard too, adorable!

Melly Testa said...

I love that the postcard is recycled, I didn't catch that the first time.

Lisa said...

You've been a busy lady! Sounds (and looks)likes it been a lot of fun.