Translate

Friday, May 6, 2011

Last two Days - Memoir Unit

Yesterday's prompt:  Did you have a favorite friend (or friends) to play with? What did you like to do with them? Try to be specific.


And today's prompt:  Do you have any memories of your parents? Try to remember a happy time with each of them.


If you have been journaling along for the past few days, I hope you've enjoyed this mini memoir unit.  There are several books you can find to guide you with writing memoirs.  One very good one is called, "Writing Life Stories, How to Take Memories into Memoir" by Bill Roorbach.  


You don't have to be a former president or movie star to want to preserve your memories.  I love to read autobiographies -- and I dearly wish my grandparents or aunts and uncles had kept journals to pass down.  I'd love to know more about all the little things in their lives -- what they wanted for their future, their hopes and dreams and challenges, and to hear about what their worlds were like when they were growing up.  I wish I had started journaling sooner myself - but as George Eliot said, "It's never too late to be who you might have been."



2 comments:

Holli said...

I would have loved that too... my father's side of the family has SOOO many fun and eccentric stories and the same on my mother's side just in an opposite vein.

I'm going to come back to your prompts later this afternoon.

Holli said...

When I think of my mom the first thought that comes into my head is hugging her goodnight. I did that every night before I went to bed when I was younger but a particular time stands out.... she's sitting on my grandma's living room floor and I sat in her lap to hug her.... I can feel the scratchy old 1970's shag carpet on my legs still.

When i think of my dad I always see him standing on one side of the kitchen island with my sitting behind the other... a bowl of his salsa in front of us... chips, a beer for him and a glass of wine for me.... just talking. About whatever happens to come up.