Translate

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Anniversary and a great new book

Yesterday marked 7 happy years of marriage to my husband and best friend. He is completely supportive and sharing of everything I do -- my children, my career and my art -- and I would be lost without him.


Every year we've tried to give each other the "traditional" gifts -- just for fun -- like paper or leather or flowers. This year we declared a moratorium on that practice, living dangerously off the grid now.  I gave him an electric wine bottle opener. (Not a bit of the traditional copper or wool involved.)  He gave me a new iPhone cover, imprinted with a piece of my original artwork.  See what I mean? Very supportive of my endeavors.






And in other news, I made my first repurposed journal this week, in preparation for an upcoming trip to Costa Rica. My dear friend Shirley  patiently took me through all the steps. 


I never knew watercolor paper had a grain, or how to find it, or that the grain should run parallel to the spine of a book -- but I do now.  It took me 3 1/2 hours start to finish (most of that time was spent ripping large sheets of watercolor paper into the right size) and I enjoyed every bit of it, including the stitching and gluing.  




The original book cover wasn't very pretty, so I gessoed over it in black and decorated it with my version of a Costa Rican Dana de los Diabilitos mask.  This festival reinterprets the invasion of the territory by Europeans -- and their resistance to the newcomers.  The indigenous tribe Boruca is most well known for their masks.


There is a wonderful video on facebook that shows native Costa Rican animals and masks made using their likenesses.  I don't think it is on youtube, so I apologize to the non-facebookers who can't link to it.  http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=103666989659979








7 comments:

Tammy Freiborg said...

You've got yourself the king of gift selection! I love the image he chose.

Citygirl.em said...

Teri, what a sweet guy to have that phone cover made for you. I hope you had a lovely anniversary and lucky you, you get to go on an art adventure to Costa Rica? So happy you can indulge like that....have fun!

Emily

Holli said...

Happy Anniversary Teri.... Lou is such a great guy!! What perfect gifts you gave each other....

Love your journal artwork... very cool looking... I don't know how you do that but you do it well!

Christina said...

Oh wow, that book is WAY too neat! I love it! And not only is that such a thoughtful gift from your hubby, I seriously think your art is awesome. Just wonderful! ;) (And thanks for stopping by my corner of the web as well!)

Janet Ghio said...

Oh Costa Rica--sounds wonderful!! How long will you be gone? And what a great anniversary present from your husband.

Thauna said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Lou!!! Your iPhone cover is amazing! What a thoughtful gift. Your book is really cool too!

Lisa said...

Okay first-that piece of your artwork is gorgeous but most of all, what a wonderful gift! Happy anniversary!