Translate

Monday, July 4, 2011

Vintage July 4th photos and a link to a great story

I dug these two photos out of  "the vault:"  My sister and two brothers on a July 4th, 1956.  That's my dad sitting behind them. The Independence Day parade in Plainfield, NJ was 3 hours long - HUGE - and we loved every minute of it. (I couldn't attend this particular one, as I wasn't born yet.)



And here is my sister (same little girl above) ten years later as a finalist in the town's Miss Independence pageant.  She's in the second row up, center (between the blonde and the girl with the hairband).  Who knew she'd be starring in the parade one day?


It's fun to look back on those days. I can almost smell the charcoal of the barbecue dad was firing up in the back yard!




My friend Lisa over at Lit and Life has posted a super interesting Independence Day story. She begins her post this way...
Today, as we in the United States of America celebrate our independence, I thought I would share with you the speech my father will be giving this morning. Two years ago, I told you about the Fourth of July breakfast that my parents started n their neighborhood in 1976. That breakfast continues to this day, and to this day my American History teacher dad teaches the attendees something new about the reason we celebrate this day.

Go on over for a quick read, and you'll really feel patriotic. http://litandlife.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-fourth-of-july-to-my-fellow.html


4 comments:

Brenda said...

Funny, when I saw your post I tried to remember the 4th of July when I was a kid. I don't!

I remember Memorial Day b/c the American Legion Post always gave out free hot dogs and soda all day long, and it was the thing to have free soda all day long!

But, I don't remember the 4th.

I do remember my children and Lansdowne. We would go to the parade every 4th. Sometimes they would be in it, and sometimes not!

It was always hot! Always hot!

But I don't remember my childhood 4ths. Weird.

Holli said...

I absolutely love these photos.... how cool are these? I always love looking at the hairdos in my mom's pics from the 50's. So perfectly done....

I've never been to a 4th of July parade but what I remember about the holiday as a child are sparklers. They were my favorite firework.

Tammy Freiborg said...

Happy 4th!! I want to shop at that Surprise Store ... wonder what they sold?!

Lisa said...

What wonderful memories! Thanks for the shout out!