Translate

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Morgan Library - Making a List

I finally made it to the Morgan Library lists exhibit today, perusing the wonderful display with my friend Shirley. There were many engrossing (and often amusing) inventories, and one that I especially enjoyed was The Bohemian Dinner by Charles Green Shaw.  Simply enumerating events of the evening in declarative form, he created an abstraction of his experience in list form.




Harry Bertola created the self rating chart, below, at age 15 as he struggled to assimilate in an American school after emigrating from Italy.  I found it very touching.



Whether it's the agenda for your next meeting (I love to check the items off as they are finished), a wedding program, or the Ten Commandments, you may never look at your lists the same after visiting this exhibit.
 

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I love lists--what fun! That first one really drives home how much goes into every little thing we do in a day.

Tammy Freiborg said...

Wow, 15 year old Harry had lovely handwriting!

teri said...

haha, I know! But he doesn't have much of that modern-day inflated self esteem like many post-Dr. Spock kids have.

Janet Ghio said...

What an interesting exhibit--how many steps to do just one thing when it is really broken down.

Lizzi said...

I wish I lived in New York so I could see this.

I think Harry's list is wonderful. I think it is one that each of us could use. And such gorgeous script!

Holli said...

This is SOOO neat!

Aimeslee said...

Teri, I love these! I feel a great compulsion to notify you that I'll likely be copying and pasting for later disemination to my dad and various email friends, crediting you, my NooYawker friend, of course. :-))) xoxo

thepinkrachael said...

This exhibition sounds great1 I love these lists, especially the top one...might have to 'borrow' that idea for a journal page one day! Thanks for sharing!
Rach