Translate

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Best ever chocolate chip cookies

We're going to Ally's house for a Labor Day BBQ, and I've been assigned to bring chocolate chip cookies and brownies.  I'm going to share my favorite CCC recipe with you and show you the important steps along the way.  No matter how many times you have made them -- 0 or 100 -- you'll love watching.

First, gather all your ingredients so you don't get halfway into it and realize you're missing something.  Allow the butter to soften for about 30 minutes (All ingredients at the end.)

Mix the salt, baking soda and flour together and set aside.  Use an electric mixer  to cream those two sticks of butter.  Get them good and velvety. (See how it looks up there on the beaters?  That's what I'm talking about!) Now add in the sugars and beat it again.  

Add the vanilla (yum - make sure you add enough!) and add one egg at a time, beating it after each one.  Those eggs should be big and fresh -- no old fogies for this recipe.   Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture (I do it in 3 parts) and then fold in the chocolate chips by hand. You can add nuts now too, if you want them.

Your batter should look smooth and rich, like this.  Getting hungry?  I know you are!!



After baking these babies at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes (I use parchment-lined cookie sheets), your warm, chocolately bites will look like this.  Watch them carefully while they bake! The edges should be crispy and golden, the underside lightly browned.  Not too much time -- and not too little.  
Mmmmmm----wish I could give you one right now!


And if he's very good, you can let your husband lick the bowl...
This recipe, which yields 4 dozen perfect little gems, is on the back of the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips package.  The ingredients are in slightly different proportions than the traditional tollhouse style, so pay attention.

2 1/4 c. unsifted flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened  -- don't use margarine
3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
3/4 c. white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large, fresh eggs
2 c. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
optional:  1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans


4 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

My favorite part of cookie making--licking the bowl!! I could just smell those chocolate chip cookies!!

Holli said...

Oh my god that looks GOOD!!! I'm starving right now and not for breakfast anymore... I need Choc chip cookies lol

Lou looks like a teenager up there... great shot! :)

Monica said...

teri
love to bake, actually love cooking. I make choc chips but our favorite is a chocolate chunk, oatmeal coconut cookie. Thursday i made cupcakes for a teenager and liked them so much made us a batch that I froze so I can take out and not eat all at once. yesterday i made milk chocolate butter cream frosting. Over the top!!!

Sometime ago I made a cookbook that is called "Make this again" as I found it impossible to recall all the stuff i make enjoyed.

Aimeslee said...

That is so not a good choice to make and take, looks just like the kind of food you tell someone you will cut them if they touch any, lmao. winkwink Happy Labor Day xoxo