Translate

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Poetry Party Wednesday

This is one of many I saved from my high school days.  I’ve always admired the "silly scholar" of this poem -- maybe even found in him a kindred spirit.   I hope I've inspired a few students of my own to be a little less present-minded  now and then and to pay attention to the silly stuff as well as the important business.  Where would we be without our dreams?

  
The Absent-Minded Professor

This lonely figure of not much fun
Strayed out of folklore fifteen years ago
Forever.  
Now on an autumn afternoon,
While the leaves drift past the office window,
His bright replacement, present-minded, 
stays at the desk, correcting papers, 
nor ever grieves
For the silly scholar of the bad old days
Who’d burn the papers and correct the leaves.

By Howard Nemeroff

2 comments:

Aimeslee said...

Hi Teri - this is a good one, glad you kept it. Reminded me of Dead Poets Society...or Mr Chips. I missed this week's Haiku Humpday. The hump beat me to it and when I woke up about it, it was Thursday. I do have one written now and am working on the art. Look out next week! lol xoxo

Holli said...

I love this!!! I've never heard this before :)