Translate

Friday, May 11, 2012

Five on Friday - Teachers



Last week was Teacher Appreciation day, so today's post is dedicated to teachers. 

The teacher I remember best was Mrs. Sansone.  I’d just transferred to public school, fourth grade,  and I was terribly shy.  I hated playground time because I didn't have anyone to play with, so I'd stand around awkwardly.  When Mrs. S started asking me to walk to the corner deli to buy her a cheese sandwich and two ice cream sandwiches – one for each of us -- it was such a gift.  For a month or two, I spent lunchtime inside with her.  It was a lifesaver until I finally started making a few friends.  

The teacher I liked least was a sour-faced German teacher in high school. She had taken the place of my first German teacher, a beautiful, charismatic woman whom I adored and who died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. I guess sour-puss didn't stand a chance.

Funny to think I became a teacher.  I never had any desire to teach until I had kids.  In fact, I never had any desire to be anything when I grew up, except to be a mom.

I loved reading Steinbeck’s East of Eden because I had a teacher who enjoyed it so much that her enthusiasm spilled over onto her students.  What I remember most about her, other than that book, was the day she told us how sad she’d been in high school when she found out an I.Q. test showed her to be very “average” in intelligence.  She encouraged us not to judge ourselves based on a test or on someone else's opinion.

I wish I could go back to high school for a day, knowing what I do now, feeling as I do now.  It would be so interesting to see it with new --or old -- eyes.









8 comments:

Monica said...

Time is not returnable!

teri said...

It is on Back to the Future.

Eileen said...

My favorite teacher was the one I had in first grade, Miss Lipschitz. I loved her so much, I tried to fix her up with all the males in my family, even the already married ones. At that age I just didn't understand the concept of monogomy, LOL.
However, nothing, not even curiosity, would make me want to return to high school.

Thyme (Sarah) said...

I just loved reading this. Amazing how teachers can affect us positively or negatively. After I finish homeschooling my 2, I sometimes think I want to be a teacher's aid (not the teacher) just so I can have extra time with the kids that need it most.

Holli said...

What a good post Teri! I especially loved the teacher who helped you out so much by giving you an important task and making you feel you had a place. That's really very special.

Caatje said...

You made me remember my Dutch teacher in my first years of high school. From him I learned an enormous love of language that still stays with me today. For a while I even wanted to study Dutch in college because of him, but I'm kindof glad I changed my mind later. ;-)

thepinkrachael said...

I really enjoyed this post (for obvious reasons!)It is true though isn't it - some teachers, for good or bad reasons, really stick out more than others. Reading this brought back lots of good memories, and some funny ones too!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, yes! I'd love to be able to go back to high school knowing what I know now & appreciating all of the opportunities there were. AND the chance to make sure I let the teachers know how much I appreciated everything they do!