Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wednesday quote -- and a new beaded bracelet


“Do not be satisfied 
with the stories that come before you. 
Unfold your own myth.”
Rumi


This quote has been one of my most important guides through life.  I think of the best possible "myth" I can imagine for myself, and I try for that, believing that working toward making that myth a reality will always steer me in the right direction.  I remind myself that every day brings me a chance to write my own story -- whether I liked the previous chapter or not.








I was recently inspired by my friend Sox to try beading. She shared with me the work done by the incredible bead artist, Sherri Serafini.  I took one look and knew I had to learn how to do this.  It took me a while to assemble the supplies I needed, including cabochons, brass bracelet blanks, the special colors of seed beads I liked, bead needles and glue, but once I got started, I was hooked.


Here's the finished bracelet from the front




And from the back... 



 And here is how I started.  The bracelet is stitched onto a separate piece of material, cut to properly match the brass bracelet blank.    



After all the stitching is finished, the beaded strip is sewn to the prepared bracelet blank.  


I'm in love with my bracelet and I think I'm kind of hooked on this style of jewelry making.  My friend Eileen cautioned me that purchasing beads can become an addiction, and I believe it.  



17 comments:

Joni James said...

That is so beautiful!!!

Monica said...

it is lovely. I can tell you it is an addiction. i was hooked on Sherri several years ago after buying her book and now have quite a supply of beads and all the tools. I started to make one of the bracelets liked yours at Christmas but could not get the colors right. So it sits unfinished. there are lots of classes in and around you so watch out.

suziqu's thread works said...

Teri your bracelet is so gorgeous - you have done a beautiful job with those beads!
And as for Rumi - well I have been reading his poetry for about 40 years as well as Hafiz and Jami - the most wonderful Persian Mystics - I still have their works which I purchased in my early 20's. They will always provide me with the truth.
x Suzy

Eileen said...

Well, if beads alone weren't an addiction, then these bracelets sure are. As soon as I got home after our play date I got online and started ordering supplies. No beads; I have plenty. But all the other materials needed to start making bracelets. They've started to come in, and as soon as the cabachons arrive I'll be in bracelet making mode. Thanks a lot, Teri. LOL!

Caatje said...

Great job on the bracelet and thanks for showing a little about how you did it. Love the quote!

Shirley said...

And it is more beautiful in person! I'll teach you how to smock and you can teach me to make a bracelet! A deal??

Martha Lever said...

Oh WOW, Teri! I have a book on how to do this (can't think of the book) but I never even opened the book for some reason. I have always loved beading and this is exquisite!!! Good for you! Can't wait to see more!

Thauna said...

Love that quote! And your bracelet is beautiful. I have been bitten by the bead addiction bug. I have loads of beads and paraphernalia but very little finished projects to show for it. I am so draw to that section of the craft store. Someday I'll make something beautiful. For now I'll enjoy your new hobby.

Holli said...

What a pretty bracelet... I'm amazed at you crafty people.... I just don't have the patience to do that but I always love to see the finished creation.

jaeartworks said...

Oh beading like that is something I've always wanted to try too. Good for you! And great quote too...

Jeanne @ Collage of Life said...

Teri..I love your bracelet!! I can see a serious addiction underway..but a beautiful one.
"Unfold your own myth".. that one is a keeper. :)
Jeanne xx

Aimeslee said...

This is definitely something you should enjoy before the fingers and eyes conspire to stop you, lol. Too late for me, but you go, girlfriend! xoxo

Thyme (Sarah) said...

My daughter too! She loves making jewelry and I always get something made by her for holidays, birthdays, etc. Your bracelet is beautiful and looks very difficult to make. Homemade jewelry as gifts is so special...a truly heartfelt gift.

thepinkrachael said...

Love the quote, but love yours more: "every day brings me a chance to write my own story -- whether I liked the previous chapter or not." I remind myself a similar thing often, it doesn't always work, but it's good to remember!

Beads are addictive! Never done anything this impressive with them, but it doesn't stop me having a box full 'just in case'!

Patzee said...

This bracelet is amazing in person. Thanks for the step by step photos. I think I'll be making one very, very soon.
Pat

craftyM said...

Beautiful bracelet,
Teri! I loved the one Sox did and I so love yours as well. Gosh, I wish we were close enough to join in your little bracelet beading circle. Gina and I would both enjoy that!!! You guys are amazing! Beautiful beautiful!
Marita

Sue Young said...

Ditto on everything Marita said !!! Just gorgeous!!!