Translate

Friday, July 20, 2012

Five on Friday

Summertime, and the Livin' is Easy. I hope you're enjoying some lemonade and restful days as the heat wave continues. Sending you a few of my favorites to help you get comfy. The Book: This month my in-person book group selected Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. The book is short by any standards, only about 150 pages, which is a good thing because after I read it the first time I had one of those paradigm shifting experiences (think "Sixth Sense") that made me want to immediately reread it. Which I did, with a highlighter. I haven't used one of those in years, but the book was so full of information that did, in fact, give you a sense of the ending - without ever giving up the actual ending - that I felt compelled to track the clues. Have you read it? Whats your interpretation? Let's talk. The Movie: Beasts of the Southern Wild. if you haven't seen it, let me just say that this is a pretty incredible movie about a little girl and her father who live in a southern Delta community. Her mother left when she was little and her father is raising her to be strong, as he knows he won't be around for long. The acting and cinematography in this movie is outstanding, and the man who plays the father was an unknown working in a bakery when found for the movie. The movie doesn't preach or set out to teach lessons and it doesn't try to be all things to all people, which might just be what sets it apart from every other movie out there. The TV Show: in the "new show" category, I'm loving Newsroom. In the "shows I never thought I'd like" group, it's The Walking Dead. Zombies and me. That's an unlikely combination, but it's actually more about the living people than the dead ones. The weather: two days ago it was 100+ degrees in New York. Today it's 65 degrees. Can we get our act together here? At least we've gotten some rain, which is more than most parts of the country can say. Bring on the sprinkles! The video: if you like to cook and you like kids, you're going to LOVE this video. The little guy is a former student who is a future food star. http://www.hooplaha.com/cook-with-peter-watermelon-granita/ Enjoy!

7 comments:

Monica said...

I never read books as I usually end by sitting up all night to finish it. Read lots of magazine and the like. Nothing too deep as my sense of self is quite intact and the room for improvement becomes over crowded with age.

Janet Ghio said...

I always love book and movie recommendations. 65? Unheard of!-It doesn't even get that cool here at night this summer!!

Lisa said...

Rain and a 65 degree day? So jealous! My book club is reading Lonesome Dove next month - just found out it's ridiculously long. I wish we were reading Sense of an Ending. Shorter and much more my style. We've got an open month in December; maybe...

Holli said...

Your weather has been CRAZY this summer! Honestly! I love the video and I've heard the Walking Dead really is a good show.

Holli said...

Your weather has been CRAZY this summer! Honestly! I love the video and I've heard the Walking Dead really is a good show.

Purrplekatt said...

I LOVE the Walking Dead series!! I even started buying the comic book/graphic novels. That movie sounds really good I'll have to see if Netflix has it. Have a lovely weekend! :)

thepinkrachael said...

Ok, first I had to go straight over to youtube cos you put that song in my head (no bad thing!!) I need to read Sense of an Ending. And I hadn't heard of Beasts of the Southern wild, but it's on the list for whenever it eventually gets released over here. I'm counting on rain for next week back in England (but hoping for a sudden heatwave to take it's place!).