Translate

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It was a blogcation!

It's true - I haven't posted in a while.  And one or two people have let me know it.  It's nice to be missed.  So I'm back, and while I was gone...

I went to the ranch we love in Wyoming and enjoyed the foothills of the Bighorn Mountains.  There is nothing like waking up in the morning to the sound of horses hooves, howdys and a cup of coffee in front of a fire.  I've realized I'm a much more cautious rider since I was thrown a couple of years ago.  And cautious doesn't necessarily mean safer.  I hope I can regain my confidence in order to fully enjoy riding again.  I've never really given much thought to how I ride, body position, etc. - but now I need to do that.

I read LOTS of books.  Defending Jacob.  Everything Beautiful Happened After.  The Art of Fielding. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob DeZoet.  You Deserve Nothing.    (It's amazing what happens when I close the lid on this computer!)

I bound my lace book.  (See photos below.)  I used a cropadile to set grommets on each page and then threaded cording through all the holes.

The cover - you can seem the grommet and the hemp cord.

Look at these yummy layers of lace and fabric:  




I went to the Jersey shore with my daughter and husband, his first visit to a boardwalk.  I love the smell of the tar and the wood underfoot, the sound of the wheels spinning and the pop of the balloons at the boardwalk games.  Although I've been living in New York City for eight years, a part of me will always be a Jersey girl.  (Did you know you can get fried Oreos and fried Twinkies?  I had to take a bit of one.)

I went to a beautiful park in the Bronx with two of my dear friends - and to Central Park several times.  I saw several Broadway shows:  Nice Work if you Can Get it; One Man, Two Guvernors, Once, and (once again) Avenue Q.  I recommend all of them.


And we're in the final countdown for little Liam's arrival!  Ally is due in 3 weeks, which means she could go at any time.  We're all very excited!

Ally (on right) with her cousin Aileen. They are due 3 days apart - both with boys!

15 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

It's great to get caught up with you Teri! Your lace book looks fabulous!

Cynthia said...

Sounds like a wonderful, adventurous time. Oh, to hold your lovely lace journal in my hands. Best wishes to you and your family on the new-soon-to-be addition. How exciting. Any name chosen?

suziqu's thread works said...

Sounds like you have been having a wonderful time lately Teri with that holiday, going to Broadway shows and playing with your journal - speaking of which it looks just fabulous.
Must be a nice feeling to have that one under your belt?
You should be so proud of it all and I am proud to be in it too!
Wishing you lots of luck with the arrival of your new grandson!
xox Suzy

Caatje said...

Welcome back Teri! Looks like you had a great time. I would love to touch and leaf through your lace book. Hope your grandson arrives safely and healthy.

thepinkrachael said...

In UK it's fried mars bars, although I've never tried one! We went to the pier (boardwalk!) while we were in Brighton, well you should have seen me - there I was in my heels clamping my dress to my sides against the wind - ready to fall down between the planks and flash my knickers to the world at any second - it took some very careful walking to get up and down it!

Getting very exciting for you all now - hoping all goes well, and easily, for Ally.

Shirley said...

Great blogpost - missed you while you were away. The lace book looks spectacular! Bring it over please.... And I'm still waiting for the photos on horses!

Aimeslee said...

Glad to read what you've been up to and that you had a great time. I do understand about blogcations...taking one myself, and have been revving up to get back to it...soon, lol. xoxo

Lorena said...

What a nice getaway, Teri! I know this has been a very busy summer for you. Glad to have you back :-)

jgr said...

Welcome back, your lace book with grommets is gorgeous! Early congrats on the new bundle! I have a GRAND nephew on the way too in a few weeks-it's SO exciting!

Thauna said...

Oh the baby is almost here!!! So exciting! You're going to be such an awesome Grandma. Mountains and serenity, firesides and horses sounds amazing.

Monica said...

Sounds an exciting time for you Terri. Can imagine how lovely it must have been in Wyoming.

Fried Twinkies and any thing else was the hot topic last year on the Food shows. I saw them at several county fairs though not tempted to try them, i stick to funnel cakes!

jaeartworks said...

Welcome back. Sounds like a great time. That's so exciting that the grand baby is so close now!

Holli said...

Have you ever thought about taking riding lessons Teri? This is what my sister in law is trained to do.... it would be really helpful in gaining your confidence back and also give you the knowledge of how to "fall correctly" if you were ever theown again. I've been thrown twice and it IS scary. Lessons may help overcome all that residual ickiness you may be carrying still about it.

You really VACATIONED on your vacation away from the blogosphere. I love that!! I'm so excited for you and Ally and the rest of the family. I can't wait until he's here!

Purrplekatt said...

That journal looks outstanding! I'll bet it's so nice to the touch. Congrats on the Grandbaby, how exciting. :)

Lisa said...

You really have been busy with all kinds of fun things! What did you think of The Art of Fielding? I heard the author speaking on an NPR show the other day - interesting guy.

Ally looks great - that girl is still glowing, even this close to the end!