Translate

Monday, August 6, 2012

Fabric quilted pet portrait

Do you sew?  I've been busy sewing over the past few weeks, and falling more in love with my Brother Innovis sewing machine than ever before.  (And isn't that the sign of true love?)

Most recently, I created a quilted piece for a friend's birthday, based on a favorite photo of their beloved dog, Jack.

First I printed out 3 copies of Jack's image -- one to follow visually, and two to cut up for patterns.  Then I traced the outline of Jack's head and neck, and cut a piece of background fabric using that outline.  I sandwiched it with quilt batting and backed it with interfacing.

Then I decided which of Jack's features were most important, and I traced around them to plan.  Then, using copies of his photo, I cut out those features from various pieces of fabric that I had backed with Heat 'n Bond.  I ironed them onto the background paper, and then - using various colors of thread on my machine, I free-motion quilted in stitching as if it were paint, adding highlights and shadows around and between the fabric pieces I had sewed on.  (Hint:  If you don't have the right thread color, use something close and use a marker to lightly "dye" the thread after sewing.)

For a background, I monoprinted the blue sky onto some white fabric, added green fabric at the bottom for grass, and loosely free-motion quilted this.

Below is the original photo, followed by the finished piece.





You can do this with a machine or use hand embroidering.   If your pet has a particular interest or love, like traveling, or eating mice, or carrying a particular toy in its mouth, it's nice to incorporate that into the piece.  Jack was wearing a purple collar in the photo, so I used a purple ribbon and threaded on one of those collar rings to it.  I made this piece into a decorative pillow, but you could also create a wall hanging with a dowel or a wooden frame, or the quilt square could be sewn onto a canvas bag.


15 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Well look at you and him! Great job!

Joni James said...

Wow, that is fantastic. Great job! Kind of looks like my corgi/cattle herder mix too. ;)
I don't sew unless I need to hem something but only by hand. I don't get along well with machines.

Eileen Bellomo said...

Wow! Can't say much more than that. Wow!

Caatje said...

Very cute, I love the collar!

Monica said...

Teri that is fantastic. i love my Brothers machines. they are the best machines i have ever had and you really receive value. You might enjoy going to a major quilt show in and/or around NY where brothers has displays showing all the clever stuff they can make.

jgr said...

Amazing!! Oh, I am impressed-what a talent you have.

Thauna said...

You are amazing!!! That is so cool.

Trece said...

You are SO multi-talented!! Gorgeous work.

Purrplekatt said...

Omg so cute! My husband even commented on how cool this is! Great job Teri! :)

Mary Walker Designs said...

This is great it's like drawing with fabric. Your friend is going to love it.

Lisa said...

That is so cool!

thepinkrachael said...

Can't believwe you sewed all that Teri - amazing!

Benedicte said...

Fantastic piece, Teri! Jack must be so amazed! I am inspired to do one. His expression is great!

jaeartworks said...

That is GREAT! Like it so much more than a traditional portrait.

Holli said...

My mom would LOVE this. You could seriously sell these Teri... so pretty!