Translate

Friday, August 31, 2012

Five on Friday-Fall 2012 Edition

I think autumn is nature's way of luring us into the deep freeze of winter, knowing we'd go kicking and screaming if we weren't first lulled into insensibility by the charm of crisp fall days. We've had some beautiful pre-autumn weather here in the Northeast, the sun's rays slanting across the landscape and painting everything with nature's bucolic filter. It makes you want to eat apples.

Do you remember your first day of kindergarten?  I do.  We each got a box of Crayola crayons, fat and rounded on top and flat on the bottom.  I remember the new smells - mimeographed coloring page with a picture of a cornucopia, the waxy crayons, the good-enough-to-eat play dough, the white paste, the baloney sandwiches.

Favorite fall movie, hands down - You've Got Mail. Joe Fox's quintessential viewpoint:  "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms."  I'm going to miss Nora Ephron.

And of course, there's football Sundays.  And Mondays. And Fridays. That might actually be a little too much football for me, but I'm not complaining.

I'm ready. Are you?












11 comments:

Lizzi said...

I'm so ready for fall! I'm loving that the sun is setting earlier now. I love driving home to long shadows and golden skies.

amber said...

I love this post, really relate to all of it including fall getting us prepared for winter (ugh, winter!). I just watched You've Got Mail again last week. That is still one of my favorite movies!

Thauna said...

I'm not ready!!! I haven't had any "summer" fun yet. :)

Trece said...

Fall is my favorite season. I feel best in the fall.
Is the adorable one your grandson??

thepinkrachael said...

I am ready for my autumn wardrobe...pretty coloured autumn leaves....mashed potato and casseroles in dark evenings...cooler temperatures...replacing beer with red wine ;) I'm not ready for that other autumn arrival of work though! Not even close!

Aimeslee said...

Omygosh, I've been awol and missed the delivery. Congratulations, Nana! xoxo

Joni said...

What an adorable photo!

I still love the smell of crayons and the inside of text books. My son is entering high school and everything is so digital now, he hardly ever brings a book home anymore.

Hope you have a lovely Fall!

Cynthia said...

your post is so beautiful. reminds me of the crisp clean air, crunching leaves, beautiful colors, apple pie, candy apples, pumpkin searching. and oh such a delightful picture of the baby...my heart is full today. thanks so much for sharing.

Caatje said...

Fall can't start soon enough for me, since summer is so not my season. After a brief cool period we're back into warm weather and again I cannot work in my studio. Well I can, but I'd sweat like a pig.
As for kindergarten. My first day I sat down next to a girl named Carla who then decided she didn't like me and slapped me in the face. I still don't know why. I do know she scared the hell out of me and I was afraid to go out into the playground for a long time. Ah..childhood trauma's. I'm over it by now, but it really set my hatred towards bullies for life. ;-)

Lisa said...

The past few years I've hated fall because it meant winter was coming and I went into my winter blahs early. This year I am bound and determined to enjoy it fully, like I used to. I'm pulling out the fall decor, I'm dreaming of baked apples, and I'm relishing fall's temps after the horrible summer we had.

And I would watch "You've Got Mail" every day of the fall if I could convince my family! I'm making them crazy quoting from that movie!

Holli said...

CUTE picture!! I love You Got Mail. and Sleepless in Seattle. And, and, and.... I'll miss her too.