Translate

Monday, October 1, 2012

Altered Ancestors

I belong to an art exchange group whose newest project is to invent ancestors for ourselves and create a journal with photos (altered cabinet cards).  We each start it and then pass it around so other members can add to our story.

I started my journal off with an altered photo of a seamstress.  She owns a couture house and learned sewing from her mother and grandmother.  The book will feature members of her "family" and friends, all modeling garments from her collection.  When this book is passed around, other members will create additional pages to add to her story.

If you've ever watched House of Eliot on PBS, you'll know exactly where I got my storyline.

My seamstress ancestor.


And here is the beginning of the story...






The outside of the journal has an exposed spine with a chain stitch binding

I'll post again when the journal returns home in a year!


                        

16 comments:

Monica said...

I remember the House of Elliot. Good series but poor ending. They have a new one "Call The Midwife". This is about delivering babies so you should enjoy it. You can download episode 1.
interesting swap.

Eileen Bellomo said...

Really beautiful beginning. I like the idea of giving us a theme to work with. I have found quite a few outfits that The House of Mezzo would be proud of. And a few that might raise eyebrows.
Anyway, I think I'll have to steal your idea.

craftyM said...

Beautiful start! I love the lace over the measuring tapes!!!

I'm sure this will be a fun venture.
Marita

Mary Walker Designs said...

I really like the aged paper.

Thauna said...

You make the coolest stuff!! This is beautifully amazing!

Sue Young said...

Love it Teri!!!!Great start!Now for me to get going on this...you've provided a bit of impetus for me! Thanks! XO sue

Lee Hynes said...

Thanks for posting your lovely pages and theme.Love your work!
Lee

Janet Ghio said...

what a great swap this is going to be!!

Lynda said...

Oh I really love this idea Teri. It is fabulous!

Lorena said...

Such a lovely project, Teri! I can't wait to see where and what the other players in your group do in your journal. What a treasure it will be when it finally comes home to you! Keep us posted!

amber said...

Your work is so beautiful. I love the vintage feel of the page & the image with it, stunning combination!

Heidi Bound said...

Teri, I absolutely love looking at your blog. Your art is always so interesting and creative.

Holli said...

you are just incredibly creative and talented Teri

thepinkrachael said...

This is a great idea for a swap - you must be really intrigued to see 'who' will come back to you!

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Teri
What a wonderful theme for a RR journal!
I can see it all in my mind's eye already but hope you show some of the pages that you will be working on too as well as your finished book.
You are certainly going to have a busy few months ahead of you!
Enjoy the fun!
Love and hugs,
Suzy

Jillayne said...

What a brilliant idea. I love the whole idea of this and think it will be so fabulous, not just to have it brought back to you with your story "completed", but to be able to this yourself with all the others' stories in your group - how cool!