Translate

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Altered Composition Book

When my kids were little, I'd journal about my days.  I wanted to remember what they were like as babies and toddlers because I just knew I'd forget as time went by.

I filled a composition book with reflections about their habits and personalities.  It's amazing how their adult dispositions are so much like their baby temperaments.

Moving ahead 25 years ... since the day my first grandchild was born three months ago, I've been encouraging my daughter to occasionally take some time out of her busy days to write a little about Liam, too.  And to encourage her, I created an altered composition book.

The image on the front of the book is my mom and me, age 4, in the driveway of our North Plainfield, NJ home. We were on the way to church, a typical Sunday morning when someone decided to take a photo.  Just a way to keep the generations connected.



And here is my grandson in a beautiful, hand-knit sweater.  My friend's aunt is incredibly talented and creates knitted pieces on commission. She made this for me just before Liam was born. Isn't it fabulous?  



One final thing.  I've been using an app called Photo 365 to upload a picture of Liam each day since he was born.  I wish I'd done this with my own children - but I would never have remembered to do so.  Once a month I'm printing out a page with all the photos from that month one a single sheet.  So glad for the digital phones and apps we have now!


15 comments:

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

The composition book is beautiful and your grandson is adorable.
Hugs,
Marie

Thauna said...

Love the book and the picture, so precious. Love the sweater, what a beautiful boy. I wish we would have had all this digitalness when my kids were little too.

jgr said...

The book is a treasure! And what a great idea taking the photos.

Monica said...

that is very sound thinking. Wonderful sweater. he has really grown quite a lot. Anything you make to prod an aging memory is a great idea. make a note to remind you of where you put it!

Monica said...

that is very sound thinking. Wonderful sweater. he has really grown quite a lot. Anything you make to prod an aging memory is a great idea. make a note to remind you of where you put it!

Purrplekatt said...

Wow that journal is almost as beautiful as Liam! He's cute as a button.

Lisa said...

Ah, Liam is so handsome in his beautiful sweater! I tried to journal with my kids but I kept falling behind and then putting it off because I couldn't catch up. Wish I had done better!

Barb King said...

What a cutie, and I love that sweater. The picture on your journal is sweet, life was so simple back then, wasn't it? Barb

Trece said...

You are the BEST grandma ever!!

thepinkrachael said...

That book is so special - and a great idea to remember all the 'little' things! I can't believe that jumper is hand-knitted, it's so cute! And I love the idea of taking a photo of him every day - that will be amazing to look back on!

The Journal Junkie said...

What a wonderful idea. And I agree with technology. I take way more picts with my phone than I ever took with my digital camera.

;-> Felicia

The Journal Junkie

Blog: http://feliciathejournaljunkie.blogspot.com/

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/feliciaborges

Sketchbook 2012 World Tour: http://www.arthousecoop.com/users/feliciaborges

Becky Shander said...

How wise of you to know ahead of time to keep track of photos and keep a journal. And your grandson is adorable!

Dianne said...

congrats on being a grandma...it is a true blessing and lots of fun! seeing them grow can open our eyes anew to the wonders around us, and inspire even more art. enjoy!

Holli said...

I love that you are doing a daily picture of him and also that you made that for Ally. What a beautiful journal .... Liam is so handsome in that sweater!!

jaeartworks said...

That's the truth about phones and apps now! He's beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pic of him!