Translate

Friday, November 2, 2012

Day of the Dead and Five on Friday

While I'm not a huge fan of Halloween (I despise dressing in costume), I have always loved Day of the Dead. While still teaching in a classroom, I always included it as part of the multicultural lessons I loved so much.

Last month, I started drawing dios de los muertos skulls and couldn't get enough of them.  First I made a flowery skull...



Then I made a tropical skull...



Then I made a Parisian skull...



And then I made a Manhattan skull...



I just couldn't seem to stop myself.  I sat every night and sketched more and more skulls.  I could have an art show just with my skulls -- that's how many I created.


And in other news...

Today I'm thankful for hot showers and steam heat.   (Got it back, yay!!)

I'm grateful to our first responders and everyone who has worked so hard to help us out in the Northeast

I am appreciating all my friends who have checked in on me - by text, facebook, phone, email...from all over the world.  It is heartwarming.

I'm thrilled the election is nearly over because I'm tired of all the political talk.  And I appreciate the bipartisanship I've seen in resolving this storm crisis.

I'm hoping those who remain without power will get it back soon.

Peace and love.



12 comments:

Monica said...

They are fabulous and remind me of the graffiti you see in Mexican areas of San Antonio.
Happy to hear your power is back on. I know how that feels.

Eileen Bellomo said...

I love them! Every single one. If I didn't have about a gazillion things to do I'd start a skull journal right now. I'm thinking, beach skull, food skull, book skull, bird skull. Stop me, now!

Janet Ghio said...

Teri! These are just the BEST!!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

These are amazing! You certainly could have an art show!

Trece said...

I just cracked up when I saw the tropical skull - how inspired!

Benedicte said...

I don't even need to tell you which skull is my favorite! Use your imagination! Fabulous drawings!

Lisa said...

Love! My daughter is wanting to get a skull tattooed on her thigh - hope she'll pick something as pretty and fun as one of yours!

Vicki said...

I love your skulls. Okay that was a weird thing to say but I'm sure you understand.

Sue Young said...

OMG!!!!!hos much do I LOVE your skulls,Teri!!!!! They f wonderful, especially the French one!!!
Make sure go check all the Day of the Dead pix on my blog!!!
Www. Salut15.blogspot.com
Great ideas!!!
Xo Sue

Sue Young said...

Ps I'd love to see the rest of them please!!!
Sue

The Journal Junkie said...

These are fantastic! I've been really inspired by this style lately. Love what you've done with your inspiration!

;-> Felicia

The Journal Junkie

Blog: http://feliciathejournaljunkie.blogspot.com/

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/feliciaborges

Sketchbook 2012 World Tour: http://www.arthousecoop.com/users/feliciaborges

Holli said...

oh wow, I love these!!!