Translate

Friday, November 16, 2012

It's beginning to look...

I know it's early. Thanksgiving hasn't even arrived.  But here in New York City, the holiday decorating has to start in November because of the scale of the adornments.  

So today, for your entertainment and edification --not to mention for my own curiosity -- I took a walk over to Rockefeller Center (five blocks west of my home).  And sure enough -- The Tree has arrived!!  This is the 80th year of the tradition, and I've got to admit that I love this time of year.  Even crowded streets don't dampen my besotted enthusiasm.

Santa's elves have erected a scaffolding around the tree so they can decorate it with the five miles (yes, I checked) of colored lights and the beautiful Swarovski crystal star we enjoy every year.  Historically, most of the trees have been between 75 and 90 feet tall and around 40 feet wide.  I don't know exactly how this year's tree measures up, but it's fat and beautiful.

Here's the far view:

And here is a closer view:

Even closer view:


And here is a very special, very secret PEEK at two of Santa's elves.  Shhhhh.....


More updates to come, plus a view of the Anthropologie holiday decorations.  They're divine!



10 comments:

jgr said...

WOW! This is very exciting-thank you for the 'sneak peek'.

suziqu's thread works said...

I can see one very happy little Teri watch on in preparation for Santa to arrive. It's rather mind blowing actually when you think about it all!
Hugs from sunny downunder,
Suzy

Monica said...

I see how much fun it is in NYC at this time of year. These old bones do not like cold so i will rely on your accounts and enjoy.

Dorthe said...

Hi Teri,
yes Suzy is a very dear friend of mine,-
thankyou for visiting me, and for showing the "tree" Hope to see it when decorated :-)
Thankyou ,also ,for the beautiful angel freebie.
xo,Dorthe

Liz Deck said...

How exciting!
This country mouse had no idea! Much less an 80 year tradition . Looking forward to the finished tree. Especially the Star!
Sometimes no T.V. Keeps us in the dark.

Thauna said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! So cool.

Holli said...

WOW!!!! That is so cool.... I never would have been able to imagine how they get that tree up and decorated. How neat!

thepinkrachael said...

Ah, wow! This is so impressive - I can't wait to see it done! I love this time of uyear too (although I'm nt allowed to get officially excited until after my mum's birthday on december 2nd - it's our rule, birthdays first THEN the Christmas excitement takes over!) And I think crowded streets are all part of it!

Purrplekatt said...

Lol! Santa's elves! That is so cool to be able to watch the process.

PS - I sent you an email about free books!

jaeartworks said...

That was a really cool behind-the-scenes look. Thanks!