Translate

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another Lacebook - this one for Karen

The next Lacebook installment is my pages for Karen, in Alaska.  Karen's theme is the artwork of pre-Raphaelite painter John William Waterhouse.  There are so many Waterhouse works of art to love - I truly enjoyed the research!  

I chose his well-loved painting, "Gathering Flowers," for these lacebook pages,  and I thought the image paired perfectly with Robert Herrick's early 1600's poem, "Gather Ye Rosebuds."  I included a pen nib because Herrick would, of course, have written that poem with an ink pot and pen nib.





I especially enjoy being part of round robin art exchanges because I'm always expanding my horizons and learning new things.  The pre-Raphaelites (Rosetti, Millais, Hunt, and Waterhouse, among others) were an interesting group.  Founded in the mid-1800's, they wanted a return to the intense colors and complex compositions of 15th century Italian and Flemish artists, like Michelangelo and Raphael.  Pre-Raphaelites wanted a return to the spiritual and artistic integrity of the Renaissance.  Sort of sweet and a little sad, this glance backwards just after the heyday of the Industrial Revolution.

Where would we be without the passion and ideals of artists, wherever that may take us?

9 comments:

cmoh said...

Wonderful page, and I can see how you were inspired and how everything fits so well together. I really like the dark lace at the bottom, it anchores the piece nicely.

Hugs
Caroline

Trece said...

The Pre-Raphaelites are my favorites, along with Monet, Renoir and Degas.
I was fortunate enough to visit the Tate Gallery in London, and spent a lot of time, just mooning over stuff.

Monica said...

Lovely page. The pre Raphalites also had so very seductive paintings . When I was a kid we would sneek in to se them when the guard left for luch as you had to be 16 to go into those rooms.

teri said...

Monica, that's so interesting. I haven't seen anything that risque in the paintings I've seen. Hmmmm...I have to keep looking!!

teri said...

Trece, we'll be at the Tate this summer. I'll have to go while away some time with these fellows...

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh Teri you mean the Tate Gallery?
You know this is one of my favourites - the pre-raphaelites and I would have chosen something from these artists if I was in the RR this time.

It's a great choice - so feminine and romantic and love how you have paired it with that lovely poem with pen nib from
Robert Herrick's "Gather Ye Rosebuds"!
Lovely work with such pretty lace and rose!
Karen will be absolutely in love with your pages.
x Suzy

teri said...

I did mean the Tate Gallery, yes! We are planning to do a UK tour, and London is high on the list! Thanks so much, Suzy.

Janet Ghio said...

I love Waterhouse!! and your pages look beautiful.

Purrplekatt said...

Wow Teri you are so talented! These are beautiful.