Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

For my baby, on her birthday



My birthday letter from a few years ago has never been more true than now. Never accepting that you might not become pregnant two years ago, you climbed a HUGE mountain to conceive our Liam.  And your first birthday as a mommy finds you  (ssshhhhhh - no one knows yet)...with another little one on the way!!!

Your birthday letter is as true now as it was when I wrote it several years ago...



My Mallory,
Another year and I'm not sure where the time has gone. I'm not sure where any of the years have gone, because it seems like only yesterday when I was lying on the delivery table hoping for a girl, thinking about plaid pleated skirts and knee socks.  Who knew you would be wearing fireman hats and high-heeled jellies in three years?  I loved to dress you up and fix your hair and watch how happy you were with your special outfits. I loved all our movie nights and special outings.  My life would have a huge gaping hole in it right now had I not been given the gift of your light in my world. 


From the beginning you have been fiercely loyal to those you love, and most especially to your big brother who never seemed to do anything wrong in your eyes. I’m not sure who protected whom more, but you two are quite literally a match made in heaven.

You have always been a little harder on yourself than you are on others (maybe because you couldn’t do the things you thought you should be able to do when you were younger, like buttoning buttons) but you are always there to help others when they need it.

Ally, for Ben and Daddy and Lou and me, you are our princess in every way imaginable. Never forget that you are a cherished member of this family. Remember, too, that you have a divine and extraordinary place in this world and never stop seeking your passion and purpose in life.  Remember your beauty is not just on the outside but on the inside as well. Don’t ever underestimate your ability to move mountains when you have the desire to do so. Never doubt that the world is a better place because you are in it. And this above all else: never forget that I adore you - the little girl you will always be and the young lady you have become. 

Forever and always, Mama



8 comments:

Cynthia said...

Such a beautiful letter. And adorable little girl and a lovely young woman. Special photo of the two of you. My dear daughter turned 45 this year and I wonder how fast time as gone by. I'm so awed by the wonderful strong and caring woman she has become. Thanks for sharing your special moments.

teri said...

Thank you, Cynthia. We are lucky to have such wonderful daughters, aren't we? Time does fly, even when you savor every single day...

Benedicte said...

What a wonderful and sweet letter! You are both blessed to have each other. Your mother/daughter relationship has inspired me.
Hey, my birthday is coming up in March! I always welcome letters! I know you can't adopt me as your daughter but as your friend for sure! I have already adopted you!
I need my fingers crossed for Ally and her new journey!

teri said...

Thank you, Benedicte. I shall adopt you posthaste. Whatever that means.

Lisa said...

Lovely letter! And so, so excited that Liam is going to be a big brother!

Brenda said...

OH Teri, among the many things I have found that you I had in common, the love for our children is def. on the list. I love the writing of letters to them on their birthday or for no reason at all. My kids have picked up the habit and write to us. Oh what treasures to find. Sometimes I tuck mine in places just to stumble upon them.

Yours was beautiful! And, I am so excited for Liam. To be a big brother is an amazing thing.

Your letter brought happy tears to my eyes, and I love that you share it with all b/c we all should stop and take a minute to tell our children, husband, friends, etc. how much they mean to us, to the world, to everything.

So happy for you all.

Holli said...

Oh this really and truly just made me cry..... so sweet Teri... you and Ally are lucky to have each other!

jaeartworks said...

So sweet! And congrats on grandbaby #2!!