Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Where do you scratch your pet?

Where to scratch your pet:

For the cat lovers...



...and the dog lovers.



Until a few years ago, the only pet I'd ever owned was a dog, and another dog, and another dog and, oh yeah, another dog.  You get the picture.

I've never liked cats, and that's the truth of it.   When I was 7 years old I got scratched up pretty badly by a cat I'd intended to bring home for a pet.  Since then, cats have known I despised them.  Even normally docile cats ran in fear from me.

So five years ago, when my dad passed away and his 15-year-old Himalayan cat was left behind, I was sure someone else in the family would take it in.  They all know my story.  But as it turned out, no one else could take the old boy in.  What could I do? Can't put a senior citizen up for adoption.   Reluctantly, I took him home.

It's a good thing my husband like cats, because I didn't even know how to clean a litter box or where to dump the doodoo.  (I made the mistake of throwing it in the toilet. Bad move.)

Five years later, I not only still have dad's cat, but I have another one, a ragdoll. Yeah, they grew on me.

So when I saw those diagrams of where to scratch your pet, it suddenly struck me:  I know cats almost as well as dogs, and I like them almost as much, too.  (Notice I said almost...)  Does this make me a cat person?

How about you?  What kind of pet do you scratch?




12 comments:

Monica said...

totally a cat person. never had any pet as a child and got into cats to try and make up for none in childhood when I met a woman in a doctors office who was getting rid of kittens. In a moment of madness i offered to take one and when i went to pick it up there was one other left. So two cats no idea what to do with them in an apartment and working all day. An elderly neighbor stepped in and showed me the routine. love them, well i do not like white cats. long story.

Janet Ghio said...

Dogs all the way!! Don't really like cats, altho I had one when I was a little girl-Twinkle Tommy Toes his name was. But I always wanted a dog and played with the dog who lived next door all the time. So when I grew up and could pick my pet, I have always had a dog.

Eileen Bellomo said...

I have no pets, and when I did they were dogs. But I like cats well enough (def. prefer dogs). So I don't routinely scratch anything, but when I visit friends with pets I'm happy to scratch, stroke, and otherwise get close to dogs and cats equally. Well, you know that, Teri.

jgr said...

I like both, but have always had cats. Mocha is sitting in my lap right now. He loves to be scratched behind ears, chin, face, tummy and he loves a good paw rub. Have a great weekend!

Purrplekatt said...

That is so cute Teri! That describes my Snowcone almost to a t if you are using your hands; if you touch her with your face you are fine in any territory. My husband is the brave one who figured that out. I am equally in love with both for completely different reasons. I only have cats now because they are easier, and because we don't have a big enough years for a dog.

Holli said...

You know my answer!! LOL and Kitty loves her tummy scratched but only by me. She won't let anyone else touch it.

Karen said...

I am totally a dog person and have a spoiled rotten Bichon that loves to be scratched. I don't care for cats and they know it because they always try to get my attention. I totally get the creeps when they wrap around my legs.

Lisa said...

What is it with cats and their heads? Ours love to have their heads scratched. And dang, do they grow on you!

thepinkrachael said...

My mum hates cats. Always has. Mostly because she loves seeing the birds in the garden and hates cats chasing them...so imagine her 'surprise' when my sister brought home a homeless kitty one day that had been turning up to her stables for a couple fo weeks. Reluctantly, my mum agreed he could stay for a week or so while Sarah found him a home...a couple of years later, we still have him (and my mum loves him!!) no pets here, but I'm more of a guinea pig person!

thyme Sarah said...

Same here. My mother despised cats. I had hardly ever been around one. My daughter, of course, wanted a kitty pretty much as soon as she could speak. When she was 10, we got her a beautiful white cat. She was mean and scratched us all up. So then we got a little tabby for her because her love of all things kitty grew. Our Polly, the little tabby, is so adorable. She is so sweet and we swear she talks to us with her little meow noises. They certainly are different from dogs!

Jillayne said...

I was a dog person my whole childhood but cats kept finding me - wayward cats that had been badly treated. The last one, well, he was an amazing pet. I know we all say that, but he was more dog than cat in many ways and I believe he had the best of both in him - and he made sure I knew he "owned" me just as much as I did him.
Good for you for stepping away from your fear and giving him a home - a great kindness you have done for him!

Caatje said...

I am both a cat and a dog person, but since I live alone and am away from home too much I have decided on just a cat. If ever I can though I would like to have a dog too. And as for the schematics: my current cat actually loves a belly rub! The ones I had before him didn't though. ;-)