Translate

Friday, March 29, 2013

New Lace Book

My friend Eileen is participating in a lace book round robin and asked me to make a page for her book. Although I'm not taking part in that particular swap, I've never made any fabric book pages for her and was happy to have a hand in her book.  Her theme was accessories, which is so wide open -- so it took me some time to narrow my ideas down.  As I do whenever I start a group project, I brainstormed the theme and started scouring both my stash and my sources to find images and embellishments that would work with the theme.

I used this image by pre Raphaelite Frank Cadogan Cowper because of the rich design and beautiful accessories she is wearing.  Whenever I am going to print an image onto fabric (I use Jacquard brand prepared sheets) I always increase the saturation of the photo by about 25 percent.  Even with the best conditions, some vibrance is lost in the printing, and this boost helps keep the vitality of the image.







This hairpin is something that could have been worn by the lovely lady in the picture.  It is tucked into a pocket I fashioned from some velvet trim.  The golden lace at the top of the book is from M&J Trim, one of my favorite NYC garment district shops.


The button in the top right was a plain rhinestone, but I aged it with a bit of watered down acrylic paint to fit with the overall look of the page.


I found this vintage watch at a consignment shop just downstairs from my apartment. 
Love the look of it.  And the black beaded medallion is from a garment district shop as well.


This pendant also might have been worn by the woman in the photo.  Eileen loves things Asian, so I wanted to include it for that reason as well.


A fragment of a poem by Mary Oliver seemed to call out to be paired with the image on the corresponding page.  The beautiful fabric in the background is shot through with gold threads and mimics the pattern in her headpiece.


And this french script fabric is the backing for the page, which is all ready for Eileen to tuck into her book.  

Thanks for looking!



14 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I love that tip of increasing the saturation by 25%!! so smart!!

Socrates said...

Absolutely gorgeous page. I love how you framed her with the lace, it works really well. And the pin and buttons are just beautiful. It will go beautifully into her book. She's going to love it. And I like the new blog look. :-))

Lisa said...

So creative and lovely!

Eileen Bellomo said...

I already have Teri's page, and the photos, though lovely, do not do it justice. It is a magnificent work of art!
And aren't I blessed to have such a friend. Not only generous, kind, understanding, and so much fun to be around.....but talented too!
Love you!

Monica said...

I love all the embellishments and the lace and you really have put NYC into it! One lucky lady to receive such a page.

Jeanne @ Collage of Life said...

Wow wow..and wow. Teri, I just love what you created for Eileen. It is the detail that I appreciate most..the thought you put into each piece. Pure joy..thanks so much for sharing. I want one!! Happy Easter Teri...xx

Patzee said...

Such exquisite attention to detail. Wow! This is a beautiful addition to the lace journal.

Purrplekatt said...

Beautiful page Teri! So imaginative! I'll have to remember that 25% tip. Did you do a photo transfer for that?

thepinkrachael said...

Beautiful Teri - I'm always simpressed by your lace pages1 I love the hairpin and the watch!

thyme Sarah said...

It is one thing to admire someone's artwork but then to break it down and read the thought process behind how it all came together is such a treat. It is beautiful.

Lorena said...

Such delicious details, Teri!! Ellen is one happy recipient!!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Your lace book collage is fantastic. I love the image and wonderful embellishments you used on the piece. Gorgeous art!

The Journal Junkie said...

Drooling over the whole thing but I think the velvet trim pocket is my absolute fave. WOW! That is so cool. Love your creativity!

;-> Felicia
There are no rules!
http://feliciathejournaljunkie.blogspot.com/

jaeartworks said...

So pretty!