Translate

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Five on Friday


It's not quite Friday yet, I know...But I've had lots of inquiries about why I haven't been updating my blog, so I decided to just get to it a day early.  Back by popular demand:  Five on Friday, this week, delivered on Thursday.


What I’m reading:  I just finished Neil Gamain’s latest novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It’s fantastical, almost like a fairy tale for grownups, and a quick read for those who like to keep it light for summer. I loved it.  Next up:  Revolutionary Summer, The Birth of American Independence, by Joseph J. Ellis.  

What I’m eating:  DH and I have been doing Nutrisystem for the past few months.  I only lost 12 lbs, but since my thyroid is completely non-functional, I’m happy with that.  Lou lost 35 lbs and he’s determined to keep it off this time. (He lost on NS five years ago, but the weight has slowly snuck back.)  We choose just the meals with like, not their entire selection, and it works for us.  Of course, we won't be on NS in Hawaii next week...

What I’m listening to:  I finally got Sirius radio, which I listen to almost constantly. I’m obsessed. I especially like The Coffee House station, which a friend introduced me to and which is acoustic versions of songs. I also have days where I get stuck in an era, like the 70s on 7 for example.  What do you listen to?

What I’m watching – Can the Borgias really be over?  I’m not thrilled with the series ending, but I’ve enjoyed each season so I can’t complain. I’ll miss those amazing costumes and the decadence, though I could have done without the incest between brother and sister (which really creeped me out).  On  a different note, the season ender for Madmen was perfect. I read the recaps on Vulture.com, and if you haven’t done that, I highly recommend it. I think Don may have to watch his world fall apart in order to integrate his past with his present, and I’m guessing the last season will be more about that.  You can run but you can’t hide!

The baby update:  Allison is 27 weeks into the twin pregnancy.  She had an U/S yesterday and was told they are  2 lbs 4 oz and 2 lbs. 6 oz.  I don’t know how parents tell identical twins apart, but I suspect these two boys are going to have lots of fun playing tricks on people.  Liam has started to CRAWL – a funny version of pulling himself along – and he gets into a sit up position by himself and is also pulling himself up to standing.  He’s still just as happy – joyful really – as ever.  And I know having two little brothers in the picture is going to make him even happier – eventually…

 What's going on in your world?



15 comments:

Monica said...

I may try your books my Bookclub is so boring they seem to read non fiction the sort of stuff I call station books, the kind you read while waiting for a train, written by journalists and with dozens of references almost another book. And the discussion......
We have Sirius in the RV and we mostly listen to Jazz but then flick to the era movement the 60s and 70s.

My cat tripper has Hyperthyroidism and i rub medication twice a day in his ears. It may just work and hopefully he gains some weight.
We just finished watching Annekta Benztgen. Crime Reporter. it is Swedish and very gripping so very different the US films. Just love netflix.

Twins will keep all of you very busy. In my mothers family they had twins and although they were not identical and could never figure which was which until there personalities emerged.

Off to play

Patzee said...

Thank you so much for the book review. As much as I love my podcasts, I enjoy the smell of a new book and turning pages. While I don't have the delight of awaiting twin grandbabies, I am very much looking forward to welcoming a new member to my artistic arsenal. Yep, after avoiding it for so long, I finally broke down and ordered a mini sewing machine. No more faux stitches in my journals! It looks like we've got a lot to look forward to this summer. Aloha!

Eileen Bellomo said...

Do you have any suggestions for getting back to reading? I just can't get started up again. Dozens of unread books on my kindle too. And no, reading Star doesn't count.

Thauna said...

I'm not reading anything. :( I'm eating everything, anything...not good. I'm listening to mostly HairNation on XM/Sirius...which is good. I'm trying to start watching the Borgias after my trip to Italy...since Lucrezia Borgia spent time in Spoleto and I walked around in the "palace" she lived in. Liam is adorable!! Before you know it you'll be grandma to 3...that is so exciting!!

Lorena said...

Ditto what Eileen said. No time to read books anymore. I just alter them. Got a stash of them just waiting to be played with!

So happy for you and Lou and your success on NS! You know what they say...it's easy to lose the weight. The hard part is keeping it off! I am struggling with that last part. And you're right, while you are here on vacation, you will not be on NS--there are too many good restaurants and different foods you have to sample. Make up for it by engaging in all of the fun activities Hawaii has to offer!

Don't have Sirius, but I enjoy listening to all kinds of music on Pandora. I've been on a blues kick lately. My new favorite artist is Beth Hart! She's been compared to Janis Joplin, but I can hear a little Amy Winehouse, Adele and Norah Jones in her voice depending on the song. Check her out if you like blues singers!

When it comes to TV, I don't Tivo, don't do Netflix. No time! If I don't catch a show when it's on, I miss it. Currently, I'v been watching a lot of PBS and am anxiously awaiting the debut of a new series on FX called The Bridge...

Excited for your visit!

Lorena said...

Ditto what Eileen and Thauna said about reading books. I just want to alter them. I have a stash just waiting to be played with.

Congratulations to you and your DH for your success on NS! You know what they say...it's easy to lose the weight. The hard part is keeping it off. I am struggling with that last part! You're right, it will be impossible to be on NS while you are vacationing here. There are so many great places to eat and new foods to taste. You will just have to make up for it by engaging in all of the fun activities Hawaii has to offer!

Don't have Sirius radio, but I do enjoy listening to Pandora. Lately, I've been on a blues kick. Beth Hart is my new favorite artist. She has been compared to Janis Joplin, but I can hear a little Amy Winehouse, Adele and Norah Jones in her voice. Check her out if you like blues music.

I watch TV, but don't have Tivo or Netflix. No time! I have to catch a show when it airs or I miss it forever. Currently, I have been watching a lot of PBS and am anxiously awaiting the debut of a new series on FX called The Bridge...that's it from our corner of the world.

Excited for your visit!

Lisa said...

Hawaii? Wonderful! How's Allison feeling this time? She's really got her hands full with Liam and carrying twins but I know how much she wanted babies so I'm sure they're thrilled!

teri flemal said...

Thanks, Lisa! Ally is feeling pretty good but she's a little anemic and taking iron supplements. Carrying twins is exhausting, so we're very grateful that Liam is such a good and easy baby.

teri flemal said...

Monica, I'm going to rent that film. I love foreign films, and I agree that they are very different from ours in US. We're so determined to tie up all the ends here, but life isn't usually so neatly concluded.

teri flemal said...

Pat, a new baby in your house! You are going to LOVe having a sewing machine. I'm absolutely addicted to mine, and although it's stored in a cabinet, I lug it out at least once a week to do things. Enjoy!

teri flemal said...

Eileen, I went through a reading slump, too. I started several books that I wasn't interested in, and I kept abandoning them. Finally, I forced myself to keep reading a book, interested or not. Tough love for books -- and it worked!

teri flemal said...

When I returned from Italy, I was still eating as I had while over there. It's hard to get your stomach to realize that you aren't over there anymore!

teri flemal said...

Lorena, So funny - your book experiences are around altering them! I'm going to listen for Beth Hart, as I love Amy, Adele and Norah. Thanks!

thepinkrachael said...

Aw, love hearing how little Liam is starting to get about (up to mischief soon!!) and glad to hear the twins are doing well. Saying that about playing tricks - we had two twins in y5 in our school (about 10ys old) who went into each other's classes the other day to 'trick' the teachers as a joke! It worked!

Like the sound of that Neil Gaiman, I've added it to my list - have you read 'The Book of Lost things' by John Connolly or any of the Carlos Ruis Zafon books - when you said about adult fairy tales, these came to mind!

As for what i'm listening too - we also have a great online radio station here called 6music, so I have that on nearly all the time - this weekned has been great,as it's been all the bands from glastonbury (one day I will get to go!)

Lizzi said...

My mom is an identical twin and I'm really not sure how my grandma did it. She always dressed my mom in pink and my aunt in blue so people would be able to tell them apart. When they were newborn babies she tied a strings around their wrists to tell them apart. But then she thought it would be smart to take them off during a bath, and well, she's still not sure if she got them back on right. We still joke that maybe Meggan is really Wendy and Wendy is really Meggan. And even now, I can't always tell the two of them apart on the phone!

I've had Sirius in my car for a year and I always forget I have it!

Hope all is well! :)