Translate

Monday, July 29, 2013

Five on Friday...on Monday


Waiting - Every week my daughter gives me an update on the size of the twins she's carrying. This week (33 weeks) they are pineapples.  Without the greenery on top, presumably.

Reading - Need a suggestion for a good book?  I often find great recommendations here: http://mauriceonbooks.wordpress.com      And yes, I'm STILL reading Hawaii...

Watching - Fun summer movie:  Pacific Rim.  Sci fi, action, loud ... all the things I don't love... yet I enjoyed it.  Wear your earplugs and bring the popcorn.

Also watching - Hells Kitchen ended and he got it right with the winner as his next head chef.  Now we're watching Food Network Star and Project Runway.    I'm also loving Magic City, set in Miami/Cuba 1950s. Love the clothing and the cars!!  What's your favorite summer show? 

Remembering - An ice cream memory:  Growing up, the favorite flavor in my house was buttered pecan.  My parents would go shopping on Wednesday nights and they'd bring home 1/2 gallon, the kind in a square shape. There were 4 kids in my family, so my parents would slice the block into 6 (mine being the thinnest since I was the youngest) and we'd each get that slab and eat it quick.  There was no such thing as having a single scoop now and then in my house, because one of my brothers would almost undoubtedly have snuck into the freezer later and eaten any leftovers...  We once tried making our own ice cream with one of those hand crank machines, lots of ice, and rock salt.  I don't remember how it turned out, but I'm going to guess we all ate it quickly, LOL  What's your favorite flavor?




7 comments:

Thauna said...

I just finished watching the Borgias...thank you for the recommendation. I loved it and am sad that it's not returning. I'm mostly watching lots of HGTV this summer. And now I want ice cream... :)

Janet Ghio said...

what channel is Magic City on? i am watching Food Network Star and Project Runway also and watching all the seasons of Lost on Netflix streaming--it's really good!! that ice cream looks soooo good!!

pipers1mom said...

my favorite flavor of ice cream is also buttered pecan

Brenda said...

My favorite ice cream memory.
When I was a teenager, I would go downtown in Philadelphia to the John Wanamaker Department Store. My best friend and I would have tea sandwiches, a cup of soup, and ice cream for dessert. We also had one scoop of strawberry with choc mint chip (the one with the tiny slivers of choc). Still my favorite!

TWINS!!!! What? Have I not been reading my blog for that long?

Lisa said...

We used to do the hand-crank ice cream when I was growing up but usually only on special occasions when there were a lot of people available to crank that sucker! We still have one but haven't used it in 25 yrs - so much easier just to pull that cold container from the fridge and pop it in the machine that keeps it turning!

Holli said...

LOVE Magic City and I agree about Hell's Kitchen. Do you watch Masterchef? I love that show.

jaeartworks said...

33 weeks already!? Wow. So she's probably really close to having them. Yay!