Translate

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Five on...



Yes I know it's not Friday. I'm in a time zone six hours behind my usual Eastern Daylight Savings Time so that's my excuse.

 Hawaii is lovely, but the 10 hour flight is killer, and the movie in the LAX to HI flight was deadly boring--The Quarter, with Phillip Hoffman and Chris Walken. If you're feeling much too happy one day and need something to bring you down from that euphoria, this is the movie for you. You'll soon wish you were in a fugue. 

Did you ever hear of someone who gets seasick from snorkeling?  Right here (hand up, waving sheepishly).  Apparently, floating around on the surface with my head looking down is enough to do it for me. And while I had intended to take scuba lessons while here, that may now be off the table. Still-the water is lovely and the sights don't make me sick at all. 

Are you a vacation relaxer or an ambitious sightseer?  What has been your favorite vacation so far?


13 comments:

Monica said...

I love all vacations and I keep travel journals to remind me of them. the journals are made post trip from notes on the road and photos. I too was a disaster at snorkeling and as a "scaredy cat" hating it when botanical things moved across me as i was convinced they were monsters from the not so very deep.

Benedicte said...

Look! Even the Koi fish is happy to see you! I guess you now have to find another alternative to scuba diving: getting a Hawaiian massage, surfing, lounging at the pool or swimming with a Manta Ray! Have fun! We miss you here as we melt in the heat!

teri flemal said...

Oh Monica--you made me feel so much better!

teri flemal said...

Benedicte, aren't they beautiful fish? They are so sociable, too. The minute they see people, they swim right over. Possibly for a snack...

Lizzi said...

Really, they should only show comedies on flights. Hawaii sounds wonderful right now. Enjoy soaking up the tropics!

Brenda said...

Whenever I am on vacation I feel the intense need to do everything I can before the time is up! Relaxing only happens at the shore, but all other destinations I feel the need to do things.

Hawaii sounds like fun!

helen tilston said...

I hope you enjoy your stay in Hawaii.
It is a magical place
I like to explore when on vacation
Helenx

Eileen Bellomo said...

When I was (much) younger it was always all about seeing everything as quickly as possible. I usually returned home in need of a vacation. These days I'm more inclined to appreciate beautiful places....from a lounge chair, cocktail in hand. And in recent years most of my travels involved attending art workshops rather than schlepping around museums and monuments.
The important thing is to know yourself, and not try to take someone else's idea of a vacation.

Janet Ghio said...

I'm so sorry that snorkeling made you sick. Hope you weren't too disappointed. Can't wait to see some photos from your trip!

Lisa said...

I'd love to relax on vacations - sadly, I'm married to Mr. Go, Go, Go! After 30 years of marriage, we're still working on a balance. Enjoy your trip!

Thauna said...

When I was in Italy I was go-go-go, but there was so much to see. And it made me appreciate the 3 hour dinner where I could just sit and enjoy where I was. And my solo lunches in Florence in a square, people watching and listening was the best!! I would love to go to Hawaii a work friend just returned from her honeymoon there, it does sound like paradise.

thepinkrachael said...

Aw, I've never been snorkelling, but it does sund a bit sick-making when you describe it like that! Still, fantastic to see - one of the girls I used ot teach brought back a dvd from her trip to the Coral Reef in Oz and it was truly amazing! Have a wonderful holiday!

Holli said...

What a horrible in flight movie!!