Translate

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Five on Friday

These days, as you've noticed, my Fridays are any day of the week I have a moment to get to the computer.

Eleven years ago I met my husband on Match.com.  At the time, it was pretty new -- and I didn't tell my family I'd met him online for a couple of years. (They would not have approved.)  These days, dating websites are pretty common. Sure, people can misrepresent themselves -- but they do that in person anyway.  It's our job to suss out the gold from the dust.  The next generation is using dating apps for the phone, like Tinder.  Pics of people in your area who are registered show up on your phone. You swipe the screen one direction to connect with them; swipe the other way if you aren't interested.  Sure it's initially superficial to make a decision based on looks, but the trick is to chat with them afterwards and see if it could be a real connection.  I love the idea that people are finding new ways to meet.  It beats waiting for a friend to introduce you to someone or standing in a bar feeling awkward.

Why do I need seem to need an iPad mini, an iPhone and a MacBook? Packing to go away for a few days, I realized I can't leave home without any of them, each for a different reason.  Please, don't invent any more technology. I don't want to find out I need something else...

Looks like a summer of Blockbusteds -- starting with The Great Gatsby (Leo DeCaprio) in May, After Earth (Will Smith), Man of Steel, World War Z (Brad Pitt), White House Down (Channing Tatum), and The Lone Ranger (Johnny Depp).  No dearth of star power, but the movies aren't hitting home runs.  What was your favorite BIG movie? (Here are a few biggies:  Avatar, Titanic, The Avengers, Star Wars, ET, The Lion King, Toy Story, Juraissic Park, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Forrest Gump, Iron Man, Twilight, Home Alone.)

In Little Italy last night with my elementary school friend Ellen and our husbands, and realizing we've known each other since 5th grade - more years than I want to count.  We walked home from school with lunch boxes swinging, dreamt about boys, shared high school lunchroom tables.  Such a treasure to have her in my life.  Got a friend like that?

My newest art obsession, born of influences by Carla Sonheim, Michael Hague and Maurice Sendak. I can't stop drawing and painting.








There will be more...


7 comments:

Holli said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE THOSE drawings!!!! Yes, I do have a friend like that.... we met in preschool and we're still best friends. Isn't it amazing when you think about all the years that have gone by and how much they know about you? I wasn't too impressed with any of the movies out this summer either. We saw 2 Guns yesterday and it was reminiscent of Lethal Weapon. And I love that you and Lou met on Match... on think it's romantic :)

reclinerart said...

Love Love Love those drawings. Wow Teri. The mojo is hanging out at your place, no doubt about it!

Lisa said...

Looking at that list of "big" movies and I'm thinking that maybe the only two that I really loved right from the start were The Lion King and Toy Story. I'm sure I thoroughly enjoyed Star Wars when I first saw it, but I don't know that I had any idea how big it really was!

Since we moved, 28 years ago, I've kind of let my old friendships flag but Facebook is really helping me reconnect. There are so many things about Facebook that I dislike but I love that I can catch up with people's lives and know that if we met up for coffee or dinner, we'd be able to talk to each other like it hadn't been years since we'd actually seen each other. You're very lucky to have a person in your life who's known you so long!

Trece said...

I love these drawings. They are SO charming! I can see you making a series for the twins' nursery!

Caatje said...

First: read on blisfully art journaling you are now proud grandmother of twins! Yay!
Those drawings are fab. I live the one with the text about not being confused but well mixed. Sounds like me. :-)

Benedicte said...

Teri, those drawings are fabulous! Yes, you might have been inspired but they are really you! Plus the comments are great! I want a whole book of them! Count on me to be silly at the right moment!
Benedicte from the gutter, looking at the stars!!

thepinkrachael said...

Oh, it's so fun to see the other drawings like the one I got (which I LOVE!)...as for big movies, I'd pick any Tarantino film - Pulp Fiction maybe (still haven't seen the Great Gatsby, I'd like to though even if just for the costumes!)...I have a friend who I met about 18 years ago now and although we're very different, we always look out for each other and have a giggle over coffee and cake, I hope we always will!...And as for dating websites - well, that's where I'm at at the moment, I've been chatting to some great people and hopefully once my move is complete I'll get to go on some fun dates too (as they say a bad date is a good story if nothing else!) Hope all is going well with the new arrivals :)