Translate

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Five on Friday

So, I've been asking my IRL (yes, that means in real life) friends what they think of the Robin Thicke Blurred Lines video. It's been called the song of the summer.   Some people find it repulsive, misogynist,  and sexist, and others think it's just fine.  What do you think?  I'll tell you in advance that it makes me squirm, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing about why it's ok.  And for the uninitiated, here it is.  Warning: naked girls who are way too perfect to allow you to feel good about yourself unless you are 18 -25, and possibly not even then.  Robin Thicke Blurred Lines

Andrew Dice Clay has a role in Woody Allen's new movie Blue Jasmine. I thought he was dead. Seriously.  Now I have to go see it, just for that.

Tonight we ate at a Korean restaurant where you can (if you wish) cook your own food.  It's right on our block and we'd never been there. (Eileen, Pat, and Jacquie tried it and recommended it.)  Here's a picture of Lou barbecuing his dinner. Cool how the little grill is built into the table, and there is a downdraft so no smoke rises up in your face.


I was home this week and worked on some things for my Hawaiian altered book round robin group, as well as a Field Notes round robin for my friends who meet yearly in Key Largo.


This one is for a book themed "All."  
And of course, when it comes to summer drinks, it is all about that little umbrella!


And this one is a multi-page flip book for an 
altered book with the theme of Creation Myths.  
My pages are the story of How Raven Brought
Light to the World. (And also why ravens are
always black.)  Below is the two pages with 
all the flaps closed.  

This is the first flap opened. Did you know that 
(according to Tlingit legend) ravens were once white?
This was long ago, when the heavens were all dark.


One day, raven visited the home of Gray Eagle and
saw that he was hoarding bags with sun, 
moon, stars and fresh water.

That rascally raven stole those bags and spilled
their contents out upon the earth.  And in the end, 
the smoke from the bag of fire blew onto his feathers and
darkened them, which is why ravens are always black!


And finally, the two pages below are sketches for a field
notes book for Sue.  Her fictional character is
the daughter of Dr. Livingstone, following in
her famous father's footsteps as she searches
for her destiny.  In my notes, Sue's character is
enjoying the wildlife in Zambia.




Nothing like art therapy to rejuvenate the soul!


11 comments:

reclinerart said...

You are so Freakin' Clever!

Eileen Bellomo said...

First of all your journal work is wonderful. The flip book is a real labor of love, and of course, your illustrations are perfect. I see you remained in Africa for Sue's book....again, fabulous drawings.
As for the Thicke video....it didn't disturb me; I thought it was actually kind of silly. I don't pay much attention to the lyrics, but it did have a good beat, LOL. It seemed like its sole purpose was to promote Robin as a stud. Doesn't he already have that reputation? As for those women.....as a positive note, they seemed to be having a good time and were totally unselfconscious. Well, I guess I would be too if I had a body like that. All in all, I could have lived without it, but it was basically some musical fluff with gratuitous nudity. Not the worst I've ever seen/heard, but IMO also in no way the song of the summer. A song of the summer...go back many years and listen to Smooth by Santana with Rob Thomas. Now THAT was a true summertime classic, and no nude bodies.

Thauna said...

I bought me some watercolors because I was needing some art soul rejuvenation...but my first attempt make me feel like a kindergartener, which I guess is not necessary a bad thing. lol Off to watch that video now, just can't resist.

Thauna said...

OK, I don't think I'm a prude but that video makes me feel like one. Totally unnecessary... I much prefer this version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOZjaqHioro

teri flemal said...

Thauna, that was a GREAT video!! I agree with what you said, totally. I keep thinking, I'm open minded. Shouldn't I be ok with this? But I'm just so not.

teri flemal said...

Thanks, Eileen. I never thought of that -- they are trying to make him studly instead of some guy with a girl's voice. Brilliant!! Oooh - Smooth, Santana, Rob Thomas ... now THOSE I can get behind...


Thanks, Pat. That means a lot coming from you.

Monica said...

I could not get it to play and figured I had better thing to enjoy. I love the pages you are making.

Holli said...

Love the books, grilling at the table is beyond cool, I thought Andrew Dice Clay was dead too, and I don't know about the video but that's my favorite song right now!! LOL I do know that he wasn't sure about the uncut version of the video and his wife said "you have to do it, it's awesome!!"

Jeanne @ Collage of Life said...

Teri...you cracked me up with your comment about Andrew Dice Clay..I think I will have to confer with Mr. Google to remind myself who he is. :) I have heard great things about Blue Jasmine. As for the video..I could not help thinking about Robert Palmer's 'racy' video of the time, 'Addicted to Love'. http://youtu.be/XcATvu5f9vE
My how far we have come since 1985. :)

Did you enjoy the Korean food? I can't tell by Lou's expression. He has that 'not another photo' look...I know it well. You have me thinking...Hawaiian altered book round robin group? Are you all contributing to one book? Either way, I just love it!

Best wishes Teri... xx

Jeanne @ Collage of Life said...

Teri...you cracked me up with your comment about Andrew Dice Clay..I think I will have to confer with Mr. Google to remind myself who he is. :) I have heard great things about Blue Jasmine. As for the video..I could not help thinking about Robert Palmer's 'racy' video of the time, 'Addicted to Love'. http://youtu.be/XcATvu5f9vE
My how far we have come since 1985. :)

Did you enjoy the Korean food? I can't tell by Lou's expression. He has that 'not another photo' look...I know it well. You have me thinking...Hawaiian altered book round robin group? Are you all contributing to one book? Either way, I just love it!

Best wishes Teri... xx

Lisa said...

Love all of the new pages - so creative!