Translate

Monday, September 23, 2013

Finding Fall


“But then fall comes, kicking summer out on its treacherous ass as it always does one day sometime after the midpoint of September, it stays awhile like an old friend that you have missed. It settles in the way an old friend will settle into your favorite chair and take out his pipe and light it and then fill the afternoon with stories of places he has been and things he has done since last he saw you.”


-----------------


Another year gone, leaving everywhere
its rich spiced residues; vines, leaves
the uneaten fruits crumbling
damply in the shadows.
--Mary Oliver







“Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. 
The morning of the first September was 
crisp and golden as an apple...”
J.K. Rowling




Listen! the wind is rising,
and the air is wild with leaves,
We have had our summer evenings,
now for October eves! 
—Humbert Wolfe  








“Two sounds of autumn are unmistakable...
the hurrying rustle of crisp leaves blown 
along the street...by a gusty wind, 
and the gabble of a flock of migrating geese.”







Gold of a ripe oat straw, gold of a southwest moon,
Canada thistle blue and flimmering larkspur blue,
Tomatoes shining in the October sun with red hearts,
Shining five and six in a row on a wooden fence.
-Carl Sandburg




6 comments:

Eileen Bellomo said...

What a lovely post about my absolute favorite season. And I love your photos from the Botanical Garden.

Monica said...

Beautiful photos and matching prose.

Janet Ghio said...

I love all the quotes and the photos!

Lisa said...

Thanks for helping me remember to enjoy the season!

thepinkrachael said...

Oooh, this has made me feel really excited for autumn (the english version of 'fall'!!) Summer's clinging on here though, which is lovely after coming back to cold and rain, we've had some gorgeous warm, sunny days this week, so while I love autumn, here it means rain most days, so I can hang on for a bit longer! Autumn always reminds me of a song we always sang in school "Autumn Days" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9mvrkQbzgc - I think I'm going to journal it in my about me journal today! Thanks for the inspiration!

Patzee said...

What a wonderful way to welcome my favorite season! Outstanding photos!