Translate

Monday, October 21, 2013

If Dorothy Kept a Travel Journal



If Dorothy had kept a travel journal from her trip to Oz, what would she have tucked inside? Possibly a map of her over-the-rainbow travels, and maybe a keepsake or two from her friends.  Those are the kinds of thing I would have kept.

So when tasked with creating altered book pages on a Wizard of Oz theme, that's exactly where my imagination took me.  Using a map I found online and altering it with pens, spray inks and chalk, I followed along with the events of the story and traced Dorothy's route from the fateful spot where her house pulverized the Wicked Witch of the East, through the forests and fields along the Yellow Brick Road.  Highlights of her trip (places where she met each of her three friends, the poppy field, the land of Oz, Glinda's castle and the Wicked Witch's haunted abode) are all marked so she can look back fondly and remember.




And of course she'd want to keep mementos of her friends...like Tin Man's ticking heart, Scarecrow's diploma, and that little shot of courage for Lion.  (The original book did have him taking a swig of courage rather than wearing a medal.)  Each of these trinkets tuck into a little pocket behind the map.

I created a crackle finish on the heart with a thick coating of Elmers Glue-All, sandwiched between two layers of acrylic paint.  The bottle is a painted cardboard die cut, with a label I created in Photoshop, and Scarecrow's diploma was created in MS Word.



I've always had a fondness for mapmaking, even though I'm fairly ineffective at following them. I love seeing a story laid out in front of me; it makes me feel as if I could take just one tiny step and enter an entirely different world of imagination--even if it is ruled by wicked witches and imposter wizards.



14 comments:

Elena said...

You are so wonderfully creative!! I love this Teri!

Shirley said...

Amazing! What fabulous ideas.

Lorena said...

Teri, this spread is so amazing, so creative, so imaginative! I love that you have taken such a fresh approach to this popular theme! Amanda will be absolutely delighted to have this addition to her book :-)

Janet Ghio said...

What a darling idea--i just love it!

Rita A. said...

Love,love,love this. Especially the map. I'm so glad you shared.

Monica said...

So happy to find you continue to post on your blog. FB is so limited. This is magical Terri, and reminded me of maps in old children's book of treasure island. just wonderful.

Trece said...

Spectacular!! I love the map! So inventive an REAL. Gorgeous work. Reminds me of the maps in The World of Pooh.

Patzee said...

What a fabulous cartographer you are!! I love how you captured the special moments of Dorothy's trip on this map. Brilliant!!

Cathy L. Calamas said...

This is wonderful and how fun!!

Lisa said...

What great fun! My daughter's favorite book when she was little was The Wizard of Oz - something like this would have been so cool to do for her to hang in her room. Of course, that would require that I had your talent...which I certainly don't!

jaeartworks said...

Love!!!

lori vliegen said...

what a fabulous way to illustrate such a beloved story! and i LOVE all the little goodies that go along with it....you are SO creative!!

i tried to contact you last week, but i must have an incorrect e-mail address.....would you mind sending me an e-mail at elviestudio@gmail.com with your snail-mail address?

hope you have a terrific day, sweetie girl! xox

Caatje said...

What a fantastic theme! I love what you did with it, must have been so much fun.

Mrs. Fry said...

Teri,
I have missed so much being away from blogging world. Congrats on the new babies. Awesome. My sister has three boys. OMG!

I have been taking courses for over a year now to get certified as a librarian and have been working in my school as the new librarian for three months. LOVE IT! Still taking classes and that's why I have been unable to read or comment too much.

I love this Dorothy journal. I can't do it with my grade level, but I might still the idea for some other book we read.

Merry Christmas,
Brenda