Translate

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Five on Friday

Here's the Goodreads list of  100 Books to Read in a Lifetime     Do you agree? Disagree? What would you add or delete?  I've never seen a top 10 or top 100 list that I completely agreed with, and this one is no exception. I've read most of the books on here, but some books that I consider classics didn't make the cut.  What do you think?


Besides reading them, I love to alter books. Some devoted book lovers can't bring themselves to tear a book apart and remake it -- but I consider it a tribute to the form rather than the function.  I belong to two different altered book groups with art friends who mostly live in Hawaii.

This first set of pages is for someone whose theme was Mind Games, and my work is done with pan pastels in response to a class with Jane Davenport.


The second set of pages is for a theme called "The Meaning of Art, and I included a quote about art along with watercolor sketches of some supplies. I used the lettering techniques I learned with Lori Vliegen of Elvie Studio  -- I was fortunate to be able to take an in-person class with Lori as well as her wonderful online class.



And more artwork - I did some illustrations for my daughter, who will be getting a tattoo on her leg. She gave me specifics on the sugar skull she wanted, based on a design I did last year, and the illustrated "S" will hug her calf.  To be clear, I'm not a fan of tattoos, but I guess I'd rather she have my artwork on her leg than someone else's.




Still trying to get in all the Oscar candidates I can view before the awards. This weekend we saw Frozen and Philomena.  Both award worthy, for sure. Want to fill out a ballot for yourself so you can keep track of your picks while watching the show?  Here's the NY Times ballot form: NY Times Oscars Ballot


Are you watching the Olympics? I mostly like the skating, and felt so sad for Evgeni Plushenko. He had an incredible performance on his first night, but hurt his back and had to step out of the second night of competition. And I will admit that last Sunday night I skipped the Olympics for the Beatles tribute show on CBS ... and loved every minute.

10 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I'm not a fan of tatoos either, but I do like the drawings you did for the tatoos. Your lettering in the altered book is really nice. And I'm going to check out that book list. i like your weekly posts.

Monica said...

I thought the 100 books to read really spoke reams about who reads the NY Times! I recall being bored to tears by several of them Especially Siddhartha.

The altered books look very interesting and i like what you created.
My thoughts on tattoos make sure your body never sags or bags.

Rita A. said...

I didn't agree with a lot of the books. There are so many though, I don't think I could make my own list like that. I think I added a few to my "to read" list. I can't remember what they were. Love the pages in your book.

Aimeslee said...

1. Book List - Uhm, I was expecting to be much more insulted! LOL Actually, while there are definitely about 10 or 20 I wouldn't include (and Maya Angelou needs to be on there!), I was struck by how many of the contemporary classics remain. Having the Mixed Up Files bring up the rear was an uplifting end to the list, I thought.
2. Really enjoying your rocking art pieces! Love both your pages. And, wow, you got to design your daughter's tattoo? I think that might be Guinness material??? Very nice!
3. No to the Olympics watching, although Mike is. And I may not watch the Oscars either. That one's tougher for me because Oscars has become a habit associated with my birthday at end of month. I'm looking for a NEW habit tho. I'm no longer into hollyweird or supporting their glitterati alternate reality.
4. Beatles tv special - yes I watched too. Made an exception. Ringo really amazed me. What a showman! And Yoko. People be hating on her but I was just happy for the apparent reconciliation. Best duet was Legend and Keyes, with Eurythmics a distant second. And biggest surprise was how well Joe Walsh performed! I thought he was near death or dead. BEATLES and EAGLES! lol xoxo

Aimeslee said...

Oh, also: http://www.marthastewart.com/907725/flowering-branches-fabric-quince-blossoms?czone=home%2Fdecorating-with-nature%2Fdecor-nature-floral&gallery=344967&slide=907725&center=350556

Martha making faux QUINCE blossoms! Saw this and thought of you, xoxo.

Lisa said...

I'd mostly agree with that list but I'm wondering about having the entire Hunger Games trilogy and three Harry Potter books. There are several others that I think it's too early to put on a list like this - I'm thinking the books should all be those that have stood the test of time. I'm a bit confused about the Ravi Shankar book as well.

I'm not wild about having a lot of tattoos but I think it's very cool that it will be your artwork that will forever grace your daughter.

Caatje said...

I must say I like this book list better than most I've seen online. It seems more to my personal taste. But in general I think reading books because they are on some list is just silly. Better to just read what you love.
Love the art work and I agree that altering a book can be a good thing. :-)

Lorena said...

Both of your AB spreads are gorgeous and will be most appreciated by the owners of their respective books! I did have the Olympics on--mainly to keep me company while I arted at night. This Winter Olympics wasn't as exciting to watch as previous games. I too, ditched the Olympics in favor of the Beatles' special. Like most here, I am not a fan of tattoos, but how cool is that you are designing the artwork for your daughter's tattoo?

Carol Burns said...

Glad to see that A Tree Grow in Brooklyn and To Kill a Mockingbird made the cut. Not sure I would include plays, because I think of them as a separate entity and could easily make a list of 100. Also happy to see Charlotte's Web and Dahl made the list-wonderful descriptions of the "evil" characters and the humor in the names.

Mrs. Fry said...

I would definitely take off the Hunger Games and the Harry Potter books. I tend to lean more to classical classics. Definitely recommend reading Frankenstein. It is unique on many levels.

thanks for sharing it