Translate

Friday, September 26, 2014

Altered Books

I had three final sets of pages to work on for my Hawaii friends' altered book group. As an off-island member, I send my work to the group and the pages are "tipped in," or added to each person's book using tape or glue. Every member selects a theme, and it's up to each artist to decide how to interpret that theme. It's always interesting to see the many different responses to the same topic.

The first set of pages was for a theme of "Word Play" -- the unique, often silly ways that words can be used. The words on my pages are a song my mom used to sing to me when I was a kid, and that I sang to my own children.  I used watercolors enhanced with pan pastels for this spread:




The next theme was "Beginnings," and my interpretation was based on a quotation I found that resonated with me.  For this one, I used paste paper for a background (made with my friend Shirley last week) and created a faux chalkboard with a message about overlooking some things in life in order to embrace others.





The final theme was "Open and Close."  At first I couldn't think of anything inspiring, but my husband helped me brainstorm. Pandora's conundrum - to open or not to open - was the perfect fodder for these pages.

You can see how the flap on the right folds out in the photo beneath this one.


 Inside the flaps are all the evils, with hope in the center.

Hope you enjoyed seeing these as much as I liked making them!


5 comments:

De said...

This must have been great fun Teri....thanks for sharing!

Monica said...

I do not know if you have not been posting or Bloglovin is getting to be the selector, of what Blog it shows up. I have missed your posts very much as they are interesting. My mother and family sang that song when i was a kid. Think it will now be glued in my head! The pages are great and tipping is the perfect solution to outrageous postal rates.

Lisa said...

Love your altered books!

Lorena said...

Teri, your tip-ins are such wonderful additions to the last three ABs of this round. Each spread is thoughtfully designed and executed. I loved hearing your inspiration! I wish you could be here with us when we return the books to their owners so you can see their expressions to all of the amazing artwork everyone has contributed during the AB RR. I will share your blogposts at the next meeting and invite the group to visit your blog. I am so happy you joined the RR!

Lorena said...

Teri, your tip-ins will be a wonderful addition to the last three rounds of our AB RR! Each spread is so beautifully designed and executed. I loved hearing the inspiration for your pages. I wish you could be with us when we return the books to the owners. I will share your blogpost with the group at our next meeting. So glad you have been a part of our AB RR!