Translate

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Night Garden - Intuitive Painting

Two years ago I took a Flora Bowley class on intuitive painting that has changed they way I look at creating art. The process begins by creating a glorious mess, messing it up some more, and more again -- and then finding the art inside that noise. The challenge is to go at it without preconceived notions -- not to impose what you want to see on the canvas but to find the image hiding there.  

Here is the final painting, which I titled Night Garden.



It started out looking very different.

First it looked like this...

And then it looked like this

And after a while it looked like this

You can see the underpinnings of the final painting in the above stage.



 The details 


They remind me of little ecosystems inside a larger one


Just waiting to be found. 




11 comments:

Patzee said...

What a great process and final image! Thanks for showing the transformation, it's wonderful to be able to peek into the mind of the artist.

Janet Ghio said...

Beautiful Teri!! I love this type of painting--it's always so wonderful to discover what lies within!!

Eileen Bellomo said...

I love the process and your bravery. In fact, I think I may be ready to finally finish that Tracy Verdugo painting that I started almost 3 years ago. Thanks for the inspiration!

Monica said...

Very interesting. I usually do not get beyond messy!

Lorena said...

I love the way you describe your process, Teri! Hope I will have the courage to try it one day!

Aimeslee said...

Very good modeling of this technique, Teach! xoxo

Shirley said...

Love it! Did you manage to paint this while packing up your apartment? Let's get together before you leave.

Lisa said...

I've never seen anything like this process before Very cool!

suziqu's thread works said...

Lovely to hear from you Terri!
How cool is this painting? Out of madness comes such beauty!
You are very brave!

heather gilmour said...

The process of making this wonderful piece of art is amazing! Your technique is unique!

House cleaners Kensington

jaeartworks said...

It came out great! I loved that class too. So freeing to paint that way...